chapter sixteen.

"Calico, let's go!" You called into the hallway, huffing as she only turned her music up, "I know you don't have a sense of time because of your ADHD, but don't make me have to become your mother!"

"Y/N, cool your jets," Cal peered out from the door, hair halfway brushed, "I have long hair, it's down to my lower back. It takes a while."

"You didn't need to start getting ready an hour before we were supposed to leave..."

"Fuck off, that's how it works some days."

You were surprised by her slightly snippy attitude, and watched as she closed the door, continuing to get ready. It wasn't something you were used to. She normally was much happier, more content.

Did something happen with her and Schlatt?

"Y/N," you frowned, entering the room, "turn off the music. Did something happen?"

"No, nothing happened," she rose a brow, standing back up and pushing her hair back, which made it look big and bushy, "I'm just rushing around and talking makes me slow down. I shouldn't of snapped, I'm sorry."

You quietly nodded, sitting at the edge of the bed. There was a lot burning in your mind, but how could you bring it up? It was hard to imagine her leaving. Did she even really want to? By this point, you weren't sure what you wanted to even say.

"Y/N, I can tell you're worried," she rose a brow, adding hearts to the corners of her eyes, "what's going on?"

"Cal, I'm worried about you."

"Well, you don't need to be. I'll be okay."

She was so blunt about it, missing no beat. You watched as she finished her morning routine with an Adderall, a perfect morning snack. 

"Why did you choose brunch anyway?" Calico asked, pulling her shoes on, "and you're not working it? I know something is up, so just tell me."

You forced a smile, "well, I'm not supposed to tell you..."

"Y/N, you know I hate surprises like this. Please tell me?"

"Fine... It's a triple date. Charlie and I, Ted and his partner, and you and Schlatt."

"... Y/N, babes, are you trying to hook Schlatt and I up?"

You rose a brow, "yes. Yes I am."

She started laughing, sitting at the desk chair and spinning it around, "we're already a fling! I can't believe you didn't figure it out! You didn't even notice that I snuck him in last night!"

You stared at her in shock. How did you not notice? Were you seriously THAT unobservant? Now you felt terrible for not noticing, but it was evident that Calico found the situation very funny. In hindsight, maybe it was better that you didn't notice Schlatt sneaking in the night before. 

It was then that you noticed she was wearing his Saturn Motors shirt.

"Isn't that-"

"His shirt? Yes. I stole it from him."

"You still act like you're eighteen... How?"

"Good question, Y/N," she pretended to look thoughtful, "must be the ADHD."

You wearily sighed, laying back on the bed and closing your eyes. Sometimes, she was exhausting. You knew it wasn't her fault, but sometimes you just couldn't deal with her eccentric nature.

"Right, we should get going," Calico said lightly, "aren't the boys coming to pick us up?"

"Oh, you're right..." You trailed off, hearing the car pull up, "they're here now, actually."

The two of you left the house, climbing into the backseat. Calico leaned her head against the window, closing her eyes. It was evident that recent events really were taking a toll on her. Maybe you should give her your therapist's number...

"Good morning, Y/N!" Charlie chirped from the passenger seat, "did you sleep well?"

"I did," you smiled to your beau, "how about you?"

"I did as well! Also, the person next to Ted is his partner!"

You said hello to his partner, they were pleasant enough. Definitely awkward, but you understood why! They were in a new place, with a couple new people.  You'd hate being in the same situation. Fresh off a plane, and now going to brunch? You'd hate it too. 

Once the group got to your restaurant, you immediately got overwhelmed with nerves. What if something happened? What if they hated it?

"Relax," Charlie whispered, putting an arm around your shoulder, "you're tense. Breathe, everything will be okay."

You smiled up at him, pressing a small kiss to his cheek. You were eternally thankful for him being around, he was calming. For a moment, it felt like just the two of you, nobody else mattered.

Everyone got sat at their tables for two, and your gaze focused on Schlatt and Calico. They were talking quietly, too quiet for you to hear. You assumed they were discussing her eventual move, and wanted to tune out the thought desperately. You wanted your friend to stay.

"Y/N," Charlie said softly, redirecting your attention, "are you worried about Calico leaving?"

"You read my mind exactly," you sighed softly, "I'm worried about her in general."

"She's got it together," he mused, sipping on his mimosa, "any choice she makes is her own. Don't focus on her, focus on you."

You knew in your heart of hearts he was right. Maybe you should pull cards later, think on it more. Losing your best friend was going to be tough, but it wasn't something to think about right now. Focus on the here and now, that's all that will matter. 

"You're right," you mimicked his actions, "I will. It won't stop me missing her, though."

"You can miss and feel whatever you want, but don't let your feelings cloud their happiness."

You frowned, listening to him more. He was right.

"Let's just focus on the food, alright? No more serious talk," you grinned, dashing off toward the buffet. Charlie was hot on your heels, excited to eat. The spread was magnificent, full of differing foods of differing cultures. Your parents were professionals at this.

To say you were proud of them is a big understatement.

As you looked at the happy groups of friends and families, you realized you had your own decisions to make. Maybe you should begin thinking of your own future... After all, you were an adult, still living at home with your parents, all running the same restaurant. You knew your father was beginning to have wrist and back pain from repetitive motions, and your mom's knees were bad...

Maybe you should take the place over. Charlie would help, you'd imagine.

You'll discuss it with your parents later.

For now, it was time to focus on the here and now.