chapter fifteen.

Calico's POV.

Y/N was planning something. What it was, I couldn't tell. All I knew was that they were incredibly suspicious in asking if I had plans for the next morning. The way that they spoke had many alarm bells ringing, it was too innocent and high pitched. Plus, they're always working whenever Reverie has brunch, and they're suddenly off...

Something's up, and I will get to the bottom of it.

Did you get asked about a brunch?

I glanced to my phone as it buzzed, carefully closing the bedroom door. Nittany looked mildly bothered by the phone on the bed, he never liked them. Getting pictures of him was borderline impossible sometimes.

I did, yeah. Are they just planning some other surprise thing? Is someone's birthday soon?

No, nobody's birthday is soon. No clue what's up.

Naturally, Schlatt decided to call. It was always more fun to discuss mysteries on the phone instead of through text, at least I thought so. It also meant I could get other things done and not need to pause whatever I'm up to.

"What's the 411, Schlatt?" I asked idly, "I guess we're doing a brunch tomorrow with the group?"

"That is what it sounds like," he mused, "plus, Ted's datemate just flew in. It's sounding less and less like a group thing, and more and more like a triple date."

A triple date? In this economy? Is Y/N out of their mind?

"A triple date? Are you tellin' me I gotta get all dolled up and lookin' like I'm fresh outta the Ritz now?'

Schlatt laughed, "no, no, it's just brunch! Think like, I dunno, Easter or something."

"Schlatt, pumpkin, bless your little Northern heart, because even Easter was dress to the nines day. I was forced to wear a smock and bonnet until I was fourteen by my father."

I rolled my eyes as he only laughed harder. He was lucky I enjoyed his presence enough, normally by now I'd be so over and done with a relationship. Sometimes, taking things easy and being subtle is the way to go.

"What else is different from the South?"

"Well, we got better fried chicken than you. We have big seafood boils too, those are so good but so expensive and messy," I answered, reaching out to pet my dog, "the Northern culture is also much colder socially, at least I think so. Here, we're all indoctrinated into the idea of Southern Hospitality, which I know I'll continue to uphold."

Based on the silence, I could tell he was trying to think of a witty answer. It didn't work out, evidently, as he ended up changing the subject.

"Cal? What do you believe in?"

I rose a brow, frowning, "what do you mean by that?"

"Like, well... I dunno?"

"Like afterlife?"

"Sure, go with that."

I hummed, "well... It's convoluted and just so inconsistent. I don't believe in the traditional Heaven vs Hell."

"That's fair. I know I play the Catholic card a lot, but I don't really believe in half of it. It's red and dead, yknow?"

"Yeah, I know... Well, I think it's just a basic plane of existence. I believe humans have souls, and as a byproduct of that, soulmates."

"Soulmates?" He asked, obviously curious, "I wanna hear your afterlife explanation first, though. We can get to that."

I laid my head on Nittany's chest, smiling as he lifted one of his front paws so he could cuddle me better. He was my cuddlebug.

"Well, when the person dies, the soul returns to the plane to rest and recuperate. It has the option to either return to the world, or continue being in the plane. Every soul has its own second half, henceforth why I also believe in soulmates. Make sense?"

"Well, you're the coolest person I know, so I'll say yes."

I rose a brow, "does it not make sense?"

"Nah, it does. It's a perspective I wouldn't have thought of, honestly. It's very cute, suits you."

"Okay, Romeo, calm it down before I insist on you sneaking in through the balcony."

"Do you want me to?"

I felt an odd pit open in my stomach at the question. I loved his company, it was always a stellar time with him in more ways than one. However, this was Y/N's house. I didn't need them, nor their parents, to know what sinful situations I'd get into. 

"You know I'd say yes if I was home alone, but Y/N and their parents are home and probably trying to sleep," I sighed, glancing outside, "and I don't want to bike over an hour at this time."

"Well, we could be quiet-"

"J, that's a very very nice thought, but I think Y/N would have a hay-day and tell the group."

"Truuue. Don't want that public yet."

I checked the time, stifling a yawn. Only half past midnight. I still need a shower and bed so I can wake up at a decent time to get ready in the morning. I wasn't a fan of that.

"I should get going," I said, "gotta get a shower. Austin had me doing so much heavy lifting today, rocks get heavy..."

"No, I get it," I could hear a small smile in his voice, "can I wa-"

"No. No you cannot."

"Damn, worth a shot."

"Was it?"

"No, no it wasn't."

I shook my head, and started getting my things together. I'm really lucky to have the people surrounding me that I do. I don't deserve Y/N, Charlie, Ted, or Schlatt. 

"Cal, have you thought about what you wanna do? Like, regarding the move?"

"I have. I still want to go through with it."

"If you do," I could hear his hesitancy, "can I go with you? So you're not alone?"

I glanced to my dog, who sleepily looked back at me. He wouldn't survive the stress of the move. He's old for his breed, and he deserves to live his days out in the warm beach towns. I can't leave him with my parents, they work far too much... He's meant to be pampered. He's why I'm still in town.

"Yes. It won't be for a long time, as I have to get the money and wait for Nittany to cross the bridge... He wouldn't survive the drive to the North, it'd stress him too much."

"Let me know when it happens. I'll get the first plane, I promise."

I sat on the floor of the small room, shaking my head to clear it. I shouldn't of made mention of the bridge.

"J, I don't think I want to be alone tonight anymore. Can you-"

"Come by? You got it, I'll be there soon."

"Thank you. For everything."

Once he hung up, I ran through my night routine with ease. It helped that I knew I wouldn't be alone tonight. Even if it wasn't going to be particularly sinful, I just could use some company that wasn't Y/N. Love can do weird things to a girl, and seeing them and Charlie so happy had me wondering if I should take the fling I had to another step.

Worth a shot. I'll figure it all out eventually. For now, I gotta keep my head up so I don't worry the others. They don't need to know my business or worry about me. I don't want them to, I'd feel bad. My job is to keep everyone stable...

The rushing thoughts ended when I saw him on my balcony. The way his eyes glowed under the full moon... I'm in love. 

Nobody can know that.