chapter seven.

Duck was admittedly one of your favorite places to shop. The boardwalk over the ocean creaked under your feet as the two of you made your way down, the sounds of the ocean soothing your ears. Duck tended to be warm, but thankfully, not humid.

"Duck is mostly shopping," you said, "there's a couple of nice lunch places, but it is mostly just shops. Natural Selection, where Calico works, used to have a location here before it closed and went to Manteo."

Charlie nodded as he walked beside you, hands in his pockets. He wasn't a big shopper, but he could appreciate a bit of looking around. Not a lot stood out to him, he wasn't particularly materialistic. 

"We gotta look at the Popcorn Shoppe though," you said bluntly, which piqued his interest, "it's artisanal popcorn. I promised Cal I'd get her some, anyway."

"Lead the way, then," he shrugged, happy to follow you like a lost puppy.

You were quick to find the store, and your stomach growled despite having just eaten. The different kinds of popcorn were laid in front of you in massive tubs, ranging from the super sweet Birthday Cake to the savory Sour Cream and Onion. Charlie was also clearly impressed, and did not know where to start.

At the Popcorn Shoppe in Duck, want anything?

Kettle, Drizzle, and Pirate Blend.

You chuckled, knowing you could have guessed what your friend wanted. She had the sweet tooth that you lacked. You studied the available flavors that day, raising a brow at the current monthly pick: Samoa.

They have Samoas. Isn't that your favorite cookie?

Oh. My. Gods. I need that, swap Pirate Blend with that.

Charlie watched as you went to the counter, ordering the popcorn types. He watched as they were scooped into a massive tin, divided into thirds. He had to admit, they looked good. He sent a text to his own group, asking if anyone wanted anything, but they said no.

"If you dunno what to get," you mused as you stole a handful of Cal's kettle corn, "try Pirate's Blend and Drizzle. Cal and I like sweeter popcorn."

He thought for a moment, before getting a smaller container and just going halfsies with the flavors you said. The brightly colored Pirate Blend threw him off substantially, but when he tried a piece, the vanilla sweetness melted in his mouth. That was going to be his new favorite.

The two of you paid, and went on your way. The other shops weren't nearly as tantalizing as the idea of Duck Donuts, which you wanted to save for last. The Christmas Mouse was cute, but not either of your styles. Scarborough Faire was coming up in your field of view, so you figured you'd try that.

"I didn't realize how big Duck was until I decided to walk it," Charlie sighed dramatically as he sat on a bench, "my poor legs! Y/N, I just sit around all day on a computer making content, this is absolutely killer on my calves!"

"Maybe walking will do you some good, then," you respond, chuckling, "c'mon, get up."

He grumbled playfully, but obliged, watching as you went into the bookstore. You looked at the metaphysical and cook books, knitting your brows. You were lucky that you remembered Cal's birthday was tomorrow, or else she'd never let you hear the end of it. Luckily, you found a Cunningham book she didn't have yet, and bought it. You'll wrap it later.

"You're really focused on your friend today," Charlie said as you paid, "is something coming up?"

"Well, yeah," you answered, "tomorrow's her birthday. Maybe your friend could take her out, I think she'd like that."

"I'll let him know then."

The two of you continued through Duck, buying a couple of little things. You even had lunch at the Teahouse Coffee place, which was simply divine for just being fried chicken, biscuits, and honey. However, now it was time for the main event: Duck Donuts.

"Alright," you began as you took a deep breath, "I'm gonna give you the rundown, because Duck Donuts can be confusing if you've never been to one."

Charlie rose a brow, slowly nodding.

"Alright. First, ya start with a coating. Think like glazes or frostings. Next, you pick a topping, like maple bacon or sprinkles-"

"Hold on, maple bacon?!"

"Yeah, it actually is super good. Last, you pick a drizzle, like chocolate or caramel."

Charlie looked like a kid in a candy store at the thought of a full donut DIY. You couldn't blame him; Duck Donuts were heaven sent. You'd had them elsewhere, but Duck was the only place where they were truly absolutely wonderful.

"I'll go first so you can see how it's done," you said as you approached the counter, grinning lightly, "I'll get Cal some too."

You ordered your own first, Charlie listening closely for the proper order. He remembered how Schlatt scolded him before about not ordering breakfast sandwiches from a bodega properly, so he didn't want a repeat. That moment was too embarrassing.

"Alright, for the last one, can I get a glazed with vanilla icing, shredded coconut, and raspberry drizzle?"

You paid for your donuts, and stood aside so Charlie could order some. He got a half-dozen, going with flavors he thought his friends would like. You could only hope he was right, but even if he wasn't, you knew he'd eat them all.

"I had to try the Bacon in the Sun," he admitted as the two of you left, boxes of donuts in hand, "it sounded so interesting! Maple icing, bacon, and caramel drizzle, who would of thought of that?"

You shrugged as you set everything inside of your bike's basket, putting the popcorn inside of a side bag. Charlie did the same as you did, clipping his helmet to his head.

"Thanks for showing me around Duck," he smiled lightly as he got on his bike, "it was nice of you. Hopefully we can hang out again soon."

You returned his smile, eyes glowing in the early-evening Sun. You hoped to see him again soon, too.

"Yeah. I'd like to see you again, honestly. I really like you, Charlie, you're a super nice guy."

The two of you biked back down to Kill Devil Hills, and you went to Calico's, dropping off the popcorn and donuts before returning home. It was dark by the time you got back, and you were quick to go to your restaurant for dinner, knowing your father set aside some food. To say your night ended perfectly was the world's biggest understatement known to man; it was utterly flawless and heavenly.

You were willing to try giving some love a shot. You just had to hope it would work out.