chapter five.

Once again, you were back at the restaurant.

Once again, stuck fileting tuna.

How fun.

You grumbled to yourself as you wiped the fat off your knife, glaring down to the messily-cut filet in front of you. It was evident from the terrible cut that you were having an off-day. You reminded yourself to focus and get the task done, even if it was something you were not feeling up to doing at this particular moment.

"Are you ok, Y/N?" your father asked as he eyed your newest filet, "you only do cuts like that if you have stuff on your mind."

Here was a chance to be honest with someone! Do as Calico said!

"Well, it's... a long-ish story," you admitted as you steadied your hand, cutting off a much better filet this time, "you don't need to listen if you don't want to-"

"It's also five hours before opening," your dad cut you off with a small frown, "we have time."

You recounted the tale of how Charlie left his number on your receipt, the two of you met next door, and how you took him to dinner at Miller's in Nags Head but he got carted off and you essentially got ghosted. Your father listened, not interrupting you.

"Do you want advice for your problem, emotional validation, or both?" he asked as he kneaded some biscuit dough, "or neither. Doesn't matter to me."

"Hit me with both," you answered, giving a wry smile.

"Well, you could text him first," he said as he continued kneading the dough, adding more flour as he went, "tell him what you really want. Just gotta lay it out there, sweetheart, guys don't really play the mind reading game like all y'all ladies do."

You thought for a moment as your filets got neater. He was right; you couldn't expect him to read your mind. That wasn't fair to him.

"You're right, I can't expect him to read my mind. I was with Cal during the storms last night before I got home, and she said I had to be open and honest with myself and with others..."

Your father nodded as he started divvying up the dough, setting the balls on a tray to bake, "she's right. That's an incredibly important skill to have in your arsenal."

You sighed as you tossed the remaining bones into a pot that would be used to make broth, picking up the next fish to begin slicing. You were happy that this was all your parents were having you do today. It was weirdly therapeutic.

"Thanks, dad," you said softly, "I'd hug ya but I'm covered in tuna fat."

"It is all good, kiddo," he laughed, "don't worry."

The morning seemed to speed by after that. You got to go home, shower off the tuna fat (they were incredibly tender today), and have a day off.

How were you going to spend it?

Cal, should I text him?

Uhh, yes? Why are you askin me? You know my answer! Also, would you mind letting Nit out?

Happy to. Does he need lunch?

Yup, it's pre-portioned in the fridge. Thanks, I'll grab ya a book and crystal as payment!

You sighed as you plugged your headphones into your phone, locking the doors behind you. Calico didn't live too far, thankfully, with you being in Manteo. It didn't seem far, until you remembered it was an hour and twenty minutes on a bike. That's not fun.

Once you reached the house, you inputted the code into the door, and was greeted by the big old puppy that was Nittany. You let him out into the fenced in back yard, and prepped his food, glad that it was, in fact, pre-portioned. You laid it all into his food bowl just as he came back in, sitting where he always would.

"Good sit, Nittany," you said as you set the bowl down, "break."

You left him alone to eat his food, trying to think of what to say to Charlie. Did you want to open up and overflow, or take it slow? You figured taking it slow would be safer. You didn't want to chase him away.

Hey, it's Y/N, I'm sorry I forgot to text you. You just left so abruptly that it threw me off.

Sighing as you cleaned the doggie bowls as a favor to Cal, you waited for an answer. He was probably busy doing tourist things, so you were surprised when he answered you back.

Yeah, I'm sorry I left so abruptly. I didn't want to do that, believe me. I just knew the storms were coming, so I wanted to be quick so you'd have a chance to get home or to safety. Can I make it up to you?

Your heart fluttered as you read his apology, and you glanced to the drowsy looking furball that was sitting beside you, watching you clean his dishes. He just rose a brow at you, looking like the definition of an old man in a fursuit. It made you giggle.

"Bud, I'm just washing your dishes," you sighed as you dried them off, "do you take ice in your water?"

He just blinked at you, so you took it as a yes.

"One ice water, comin' right up!"

You set it down in the usual spot, and watched as he slowly lapped some up. He really was a lot like Calico when her ADHD medicine wore off.

I mean, I'd like to see you again without any interruptions. We could go to Duck, there's a cute area of outlets there.

That sounds fun! Want to go tomorrow?

You stared at his offer of seeing him tomorrow, and ran through your work schedule mentally. You actually did have the next day completely free.

Yep! Tomorrow sounds good.

Cool, I'll see you tomorrow then! Want to meet anywhere, or nah?

We could meet at The Salt Box cafe, it's around where you are. Then we can bike up to Duck.

You gave Nittany a couple of pats, and then left, being sure to lock the doors behind you. He was a runner when he was younger, thankfully he isn't anymore. You lacked the energy to make a run for it if he decided to run.

Alright! I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N!

Cya tomorrow, Charlie.

You switched your phone off, and sighed, deciding to make your way to Natural Selection. Calico was, of course, working the front counter. You could hear Austin faintly teaching a Reiki course, which made you feel a lot more calm.

"Hey, how was Nittany? Was he good for you?"

"Yes, he was, Cal. I also have plans tomorrow to go to Duck with Charlie."

"DO YOU?" she squealed, practically vaulting over the counter to tackle you in a hug, "congratulations! I'm so happy for you! I gotta say, though, if you can, get me the number of the guy with the chops-"

"Calico, he looks like he's from the 1800s-"

"Yeah I know, but stilll- Pretty please?"

"Fine, fine, you're constricting me-"

Your friend let you go, giggling nervously, "sorry. Oh, I ordered those meditation books I mentioned last night, go pick yourself out a piece of rose-quartz. On me today."

You went to the little gem area, picking out a palm-size stone. It felt nice and cool against your hand, and it had an oddly calming vibe to it. You showed it to your friend, and she nodded, writing it down.

"Your day tomorrow will be stellar, Y/N, really!" she grinned, "I swear. Leave the stone in the moon tonight, and carry it with you tomorrow."