chapter seventeen.

Brunch went without a hitch. The biggest event was Calico finally announcing that she and Schlatt were taking it slow and keeping things on the down-low, which made sense, given the boys' big following. It made plenty sense. She even said she was considering her own internet endeavours, which you had to admit, piqued your interest.

You thought back to when Schlatt mentioned that you should try content. 

"Well, you could definitely make a killing from it, making videos about the coastal know-how that you have... Could do foraging too, I'd assume you'd have a license."

The more you considered it, the more enticing it sounded. You could balance it and also shoutout your little Manteo town... It was really only popular with those who came regularly. You pushed the thoughts away, needing to focus on your discussion with your parents first.

"What did you want to talk about, sweetheart?" Your father asked, sitting at the kitchen island, "it seemed serious."

"Well... I want to take over the restaurant," you answered hesitantly, "you and mom deserve time to rest, to recuperate and enjoy the years you have left."

Your parents stared at you in shock. You winced, knowing that this was out of left field, but it was a discussion that had to be had.

"I've been helping since I was in middleschool," you pressed on, "I know the routines and rituals, the contacts for the seafood... I want to help you guys relax."

"Y/N," your dad said carefully, "it is a very big undertaking. Once you start, there is no going back, as this is what keeps us afloat. Are you positive you want to do it?"

You thought for a moment, gazing down to the marble countertop. You knew this was what you wanted, what you were destined for.

"Yes. I'm positive. I was even thinking of starting a YouTube channel to help promote the towns here on the island," you smiled softly, leaning your head on your dad's shoulder, "if it takes off, which it could, that'll be a second source of income. Charlie, Ted, and Schlatt make hundreds of thousands from their content."

"I see no issues with that," your mom mused softly, "your dad and I will talk about it more, and see what extra responsibilities we can give you. We don't plan on fully handing the business over until we're both at sixty-two, which is normal retirement age."

You nodded slowly, "that's fair. I'll go back to school, too... Finish my degree."

"Good plan, kiddo. You never know where life will take you, even if it's a drastic change, degrees are incredibly important."

You thought more, frowning to yourself. You were nervous about eventually taking over the restaurant, but that's why you had to finish your culinary degree and associates in marketing. You knew this was what the cards from forever ago were talking about.

"Thank you, mom, dad," you said softly, giggling as they enveloped you in a tight hug, "I'll do my best, I promise."

Having your parent's supports really rejuvenated you. Your new focus was on work again. Charlie knew about the plans already, and was happy to give you space to focus on his own work. The content grind never ends, as they say. There's no vacations when you're an internet star, you gotta keep those algorithms intact.

Parents agreed to let me run the restaurant. Content grind will begin soon.

(Calico) - I'm proud of you! You'll do wonderfully, Y/N.

(Charlie) - Let me know if you need artists to commission! I got tons!

You smiled at the support from the group-chat, and sat in front of your computer. You'd built it yourself, and it was still kicking ass despite being a smidgen outdated. You didn't care for keeping EVERYTHING updated, since new parts were coming out every six months. You were content with your RTX 3060. It did its job and you were proud of it.

"Right then... How does one do the Youtube?"

Your clicking and typing was at a furious pace, so furious you didn't notice Calico enter your room. You just idly waved in her direction, trying to figure out Photoshop. It was not a fun endeavour, but you knew it'd work out.

"Y/N, use Canva, for goodness sake... Much easier," she grinned, "but congrats on the restaurant and channel. Schlatt said he'd give a good word when he makes his debrief video later."

"Oh, that's nice of him," you said, sending him a link to your barebones channel, "really... I appreciate it. Y'all are great."

"No need to flatter me, babes," Cal hummed, laying back on your bed and hugging one of your plushies, "but... I wanna talk to you."

"What about?"

"Y/N, I'm going to move once Nittany passes."

You rose a brow, turning around in your chair to face your friend. You didn't want to talk about this again.

"Cal, I don't want to talk about it-"

"Y/N, you gotta talk about it. It's important."

You sighed, hugging your legs to your chest as she spoke. She's right.

"Fine. Hit me, what's your plans?"

"Once Nittany passes away," she began carefully, "I'm going up North. Assuming Schlatt and I are still together when the time comes... He'll be coming with me. He's already down to come, but I don't want him to be with me so suddenly."

You slowly nodded, "right... How will you make money?"

"I'm going to start my own business," she grinned, "I learned so much from Austin, and my time at Natural Selections. She's gotten me in contact with some of the contractors for merchandise, there's no way it could go too badly... Schlatt's offering to help with everything."

"Cal," you wearily smiled, "don't depend on Schlatt for everything. It looks gold-diggery."

"I know, but I'm paying for the entire house's renovations with the insurance payout. Most of the business too. The house was appraised at about 2.5 million, remember?"

"True, you're- Wait, you're a fucking millionaire and you never told us?!"

"Well... No? I just got it today... Ooh, right, I just got it today. Sorry, Y/N..."

You rubbed your temples with a tired smile, wondering how your friend was so scatterbrained. It made for some good moments, like this one. It felt like the two of you were in highschool again, talking shit about your various exes and who kissed who.

Those times were only memories now. The two of you were adults with your own lives and ambitions, you just had to pray that you would never drift from your best friend. She was supposed to be your eventual children's' favorite auntie, and godmother. Sure, she could still be that if she lived further, but it wouldn't be the same.

Now you were conflicted. Being an only sibling was terrible. You couldn't drop everything to be your best friend's neighbor anymore. It sucked.

"It's alright, Cal," you sighed sadly, "just thinkin'. I wish you weren't leaving, how are our kids going to be best friends now? How will we raise our crotch-goblins together?"

"Ahh, babes, we have the internet. We'll make them internet besties."

The two of you busted out laughing, and the memory faded, leaving you alone in the room.

The conversation was a couple of years ago now, and you were alone.