Chapter 9

Lila’s POV

I sat in a café watching a couple from a distance. After several internal debates I decided that I should do what Cupid says, for now. There is no point making him angry when it can easily be avoided.

In front of me sat young Camilla Edwards and Jason Peters, both aged 23 and grew up together. I had recently hit Jason with an arrow and now I was guarding them from the angel of darkness.

Occasionally one would show up and ruin a couple by shooting them with their arrow of hate, making them fall out of love and to despise each other. It takes months and months to repair the damage.

Jason placed his straw against her lips and allowed her to sip at his milkshake. She giggled and stared into his glass green eyes. The love radiating off them practically smothered my lungs.

My chest constricted as I thought of Ed. I had seen him in this café many times, and today he wasn’t here. I was so tempted to go and see him but then I would be breaking Cupid’s law.

The couple stood, took each other’s hands and left leaving me alone. I wrapped my arms around myself as a shiver was sent down my spine, not a good sign.

“Hello Lila,” My head shot up in shock. There before me stood Payten, a dark angel.

Payten and I had grown up together in London when we were girls. I always believed that there was something greater than us, as I had learnt at church. But Payten never did, she always accused them of being fairy tales that Mother’s would tell their children at bedtime.

When we were 15 Patyen was hit with the black plague as it tore through England. Sadly she hadn’t made it, and because of her beliefs she was cursed to become a dark angel of the Devil.

When I died, I became an apprentice because of my faith in God. That is how they determining whether you become and dark or light angel, your earthly beliefs.

She smirked and sat beside me. Her attire consisted of ripped denim shorts and a black singlet with ripped black converse.

Her hair was dyed red and thrown up into a high pony tail. Her dark green eyes pierced through my soul and straight into my insecurities. Each dark angel is branded, hers is around her eyes Cleopatra style.

We may be opposing angels from different sides of the afterlife but we still managed to stay friends. I smiled as I watched her façade fade to show the real Payten, the girl I loved as a child.

“How is your little match making gig going?” She whispered as she sprawled across the booth. I sighed,

“It’s driving me insane.” She rolled onto her stomach with her head resting on her hands.

“I have a feeling that I’m going to enjoy this story.” She may be one of my best friends but occasionally her dark side shows through her personality.

The two of us sat there for about 2 hours as I explained what had happened between me and Ed, the dreams, Cupid and I finally admitted what I really felt inside.

“I have this warm feeling inside whenever I think of him, look at him or when he speaks to me. I don’t understand it but I like it. It only happens with Ed and I don’t want to change it.”

Payten grinned,

“Looks like my little Lila has fallen in love with a mortal.” I sighed and slumped against the booth,

“I’m not allowed to though, and Cupid would kill me!” She rolled her eyes,

“You’re so naïve, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”