Chapter Ten

Forest Gray

"Forest." I hear a high pitched, scratchy voice snap from behind me as I shove my books into my locker. Sarah Astor. The absolute bane of my existence. Reluctantly- and I mean very, very reluctantly- I slowly turn around to find her arms crossed over her chest and a glare set on her face, looking right at me like she wants to shred me to pieces. In a murderous way, but also in a way I'm not comfortable with at all.

   "Hey, Sarah." I smirk at her, throwing my backpack over my shoulder. I was just about to leave, as the final bell for the day has already wrung, but of course I was stopped. "What's up?" I ask her as cooly as I can, almost a flirtatious tone in my voice.

   "What's up? What's up!" She practically yells in my face, stepping too close for comfort. Maybe this is why I'm questioning whether I like women or not. "You haven't texted or called me in weeks! Then, when I try to show up to one of your games, you completely ignore me! And when I try to talk to you at the after party, you run and hide. You've even been dodging me at school!" She waves her hands around dramatically, venting to me so loud other people are starting to stare.

   I almost feel bad for her. It's not her fault, I have been leading her on slightly. Flirting, touching. Telling her maybe when she asks me out. However, I haven't given her any reasons to think we are in a relationship, and that she has the right to lash out at me in the middle of our schools hallway with a bunch of people looking for not texting her. I don't have to text her, we are not together, and I told her that we never would be from the start. I do have a reputation to uphold, make people believe that I'm with her, but I made sure she knows we're not together.

   "I wasn't ignoring you, my phone was taken away and I got so caught up during the game, I didn't even realize you were there. Plus, I was pretty drunk during the after party." I don't address the dodging at school, because I've already lied enough in that sentence. I started ignoring her way before I got my phone taken away. I realize that this is probably why she thinks we are in a relationship, because I've been feeding into her delusions that I care about her. "Look, Sarah. Even if I did do those things, it wouldn't matter, because we aren't together. I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression, but I told you that from the start." God, I sound like such an asshole. I want to punch myself.

   "Really?" She scoffs in my face. For a second, I'm almost sure she's going to slap me. Thankfully, she doesn't. Instead, she throws her hands in the air and yells, "Unbelievable!" And storms off.

   Silence follows. Great, everyone's looking at me now. When I pause and look around, everyone turns away from me and starts whispering. I feel like I'm in a goddamn movie. I shut my locker and stalk off towards the parking lot, where I'm supposed to be meeting Jackson to give me a ride home. However, when I finally get there and look around for his car, I don't see it. Sighing, I take out my phone and check my messages to see if I missed something.

   Jackson🏈: Your taking too long and mom wanted me home before four. that Hart kid said he would take you home which I wasn't going to let happen 🙄 but he insisted 👎

   I smile at the grammar and spelling errors. The guy really is an idiot, but that's the part that makes me smile. I also smile at the fact that Atlas insisted to take me home. I mean it makes sense, considering it is Friday and we do have plans to hang out today. I just figured he forgot and was ready to do the project by myself. It's the thought that counts. As if on cue, he emerges from his car and waves me over, a slight smile on his face. He has a black mustang, definitely fitting his vibe perfectly. If a car were to describe someone, this would be his. He looks happier than the last time I saw him; lighter. I smile back and jog over to his car, hopping into the passenger seat.