Chapter One

Forest

"Hey, Gray!" I hear someone call my name from behind me, I turn around, surprised that someone is out here with me. It's just Tony Forbes, one of the last people I'd like to see right now. He's one of the most popular kids in school, mostly because he's apart of the football team, just like me. "What are you doing out here? The fun happens inside the party, man." That's the last place I'd want to be right now.

"I know, I just came out here to get some air." I shot him a smile, one I didn't really mean, but he didn't seem to catch on to that fact. What I said isn't a lie, but it's not entirely the truth either. I didn't feel like coming to this stupid party tonight, I felt like sitting in my empty house and doing absolutely nothing. But instead my best friend, Jackson Anderson, dragged me here for this stupid party we have every time we win a football game. Everyone greeted me, shoved some sort of alcoholic beverage in a red solo cup into my hand, and shoved me into a room full of people who were sweaty and drunk. Again, the last place I want to be right now.

"I think you've had enough air." He grabbed my arm and pulled me off of the ground. About an hour ago, I left the party and came to the beach by the house. I sat down and just stared at the ocean; Just thinking of everything and nothing at the same time. It was almost peaceful, until it was interrupted. I brace myself, put the smile back on my face that's always there, and let him drag me back into that hellhole. "Sarah Astor is in there looking for you, and I think you know what that means." Oh, I definitely know what that means. It means she won't leave me the fuck alone.

   When we actually enter the house I'm not even sure why I'm surprised to see Jackson upside down with a keg of beer connected to his mouth, two jocks holding him up by his legs. Everyone is crowded around them, cheering Jackson on. "That was supposed to be you, but we couldn't find you." Tony whispered in my ear. Thank God they couldn't find me, I have zero intentions on drinking tonight. I'm here to entertain a few people until they get drunk enough to forget about me, then I can slip out and say I hooked up with some chick the next day. I smiled and laughed like I always do, shaking my head at him.

"Jackson! Jackson! Jackson!" I joined in on the cheering, clapping my hands for dramatic affect. Jackson finished off the keg and the jocks gently sat him down, he let out some crazy noise that was between a dying animal and a battle cry, but everyone took that as another sign to cheer for him. After a minute everyone stopped and the party went back into motion, people spread out with their friends and the loud music started back up. I wanted to die.

"Gray!" Jackson shouted over the music when he spotted me, patting me on the shoulder. I smiled and did some weird handshake that feels natural now. Feels like every guy I meet knows this handshake. "Your turn!" Absolutely not.

"Yeah, okay!" I said sarcastically, waving Jackson off. He must think I'm insane if he thinks I would even consider it. "I think they've had enough of a show tonight."

"At least talk to Sarah, she's been bugging me all night and I'm about tired of it."

"No way, you know that chicks insane." She once went as far as making a fake instagram account pretending to be one of my mother's friends just to see what I post and who comments on it. That might not be that crazy with this generation, but personally, I think she was doing too much.

"God! You're so boring!" Tony groaned, walking away from the conversation. That shouldn't have hurt me, because I know he was just joking; but it did. I've spent my whole life putting on a mask, trying not to seem boring. When in reality, I just want to stay home and watch Netflix instead of chugging kegs of beer and hooking up with random girls. But I have a reputation to uphold and a future to keep, so I push those thoughts away and fake a smile on my face.