Chapter Seven

Atlas

   "Tony Forbes." The announcer called out the football teams names as they came out onto the field, a cheerleader doing a trick to greet them. Tony came out with his hands up and a stupid grin on his face, looking overly smug. I'm standing beside the bleachers, alone, away from the curious stares of my peers. I'm here for one reason and one reason only; Forest. He wants me here, so I'm here. I want to see him doing something he enjoys, I want to get a glimpse of the real him, not the him he wants people to think he is.

"And our quarter back, Forest Gray!" The crowd erupted in applause and cheers, everyone loves him and it's quite annoying. They don't know him. They know what he shows people. I want to know the real him, and I will. I will like him for who he is, because he deserves at least that. Forest sprinted onto the field in all of his glory, beautiful smile, shiny green eyes, and fluffy hair. He's sporting his real smile tonight, and it's refreshing to see.

Despite the fact that we haven't been friends or whatever you would call us for very long, I think I know him pretty well. His little cues he makes through his body movements on what he really wants, the difference between his real smile and the smile he puts up as a mask, and when he truly wants to be where he is and to be doing what he is doing. And as I watch him play football, I know this is something he likes to do. Not to mention the fact that he's amazing at it, all the rumors I've heard throughout the years are very true.

I may not know much about him, but I know him, and that's all that matters in my book.

   I didn't know watching sports could ever be a turn on for me, but I was gratefully mistaken. I feel like every thing Forest does is a turn on for me. I feel a sort of pride watching him lead the team to victory and excelling at something and I couldn't explain why. However, the jealousy in my stomach is quite evident. Watching all these girls fawn over him, make signs for him, cheer for him. They might as well throw their damn panties at him. It's a definitely a wake up call. One that reminds me he could never be mine and other people see what I see and want him as well. He isn't just my little secret like I hoped he would be.

   By the end of the game, our school ends up winning and I could honestly care less about that. As long as Forest is happy, I couldn't give a damn. Even then, I couldn't ignore the exhausted feeling deep down. The longing of wanting to be in a dark room, sleeping away all the pain that's trying not to resurface. That's why I will continue to focus on my thoughts about Forest, so I don't have to think about the dark thoughts waiting to make their appearance.

    I approach the space Forest told me to meet him at, but stop in my tracks to find him already there. On the phone. Talking to someone. I couldn't help but hide behind the bleachers so he wouldn't see me, trying to give him privacy, but quickly realizing I was accidentally eavesdropping. But it was already too late, and I'm already too curious.

   "Hey, Dad." I heard something in his voice I've never heard before; vulnerability. His parents, as I've discovered, are a touchy subject. "I just wanted to call to let you know we won the game."

    There was a long pause before Forest let out a long sigh and said, "I've been trying my hardest, Dad. I've gotten good grades, taken all the classes that you've wanted, and I even won the game tonight. I thought you would be proud of me." Something woken inside my chest and tore apart, are they not normally proud of him? Another pause came.

    "You said you would be proud of me when I won the game last week too, but yet you still aren't. When are you ever going to give me a break, I'm only seventeen, it's not like I need to be drafted right now." He said, letting out a dry laugh of frustration when I'm assuming his Dad said something on the other line.