III Aemma

King's Landing - 117 AC

"The commonfolk have been leaving flowers at the gates of the Red Keep," I told my daughter with a proud smile. We were in her chambers, she was sitting up in her bed, as I sat next to her in a chair. Joffrey was in his crib, napping and cuddling his dragon egg in total peace. "Whenever one of your ladies or part of your husband's court goes down to the city, they sent their wishes with them and prayers to whatever Gods they follow."

"I am happy," Rhaenyra smiled, happy by the news.

However, I could see the tiredness in her eyes. It saddens me to see my usual energetic daughter so down, but the helears have assured us that it was normal. Her body was spending a lot of energy into finishing healing her.

"Syrax though, has been unconsolable," I informed her. "Daemon had to go down to the pit to calm her down, as she had almost hurt the dragon keepers."

"Oh, my sweet queen," Rhaenyra had a sad expression on her face. "Soon I'll be as good as new and I'll bring Joffrey to meet her. I will give him his first dragon ride, as I did with all my sons."

"That you will," I do not know if I said that to convince her, or myself.

I just had to make sure that she'll soon heal and there won't be any complications. The kids could not lose their mother... I could not lose my daughter.

"Qoren mentioned taking me to Sunspear, to take a break in the Water Gardens," she told me with a small smile, startling me. "Once I heal up completely," she assured me. "It will be nice to be back in Dorne, it is beautiful. Especially, for little Joff, who will one day rule as a Martell Prince. My good-father wants to introduce his son's heir to the lords and ladies of Dorne as well."

"I believe that is a wonderful idea," I gasped. "You deserve a break... though, we better wait for the culprit to be caught as well."

"I did tell him that too," she chuckled. "Not only my security will be at risk, but our sons' too."

"Whoever wants you dead, wants every heir to the throne eliminated," I deduced. "Which is why they tried to force an abortion," I followed Rhaenyra's gaze towards the crib. "You don't think that..."

"Otto Hightower," she stated those words as if they were law. "He was not happy when I married off Alicent to the Tully heir.

"Which is quite curious as having his daughter married to a future Lord Paramount, as a second son, would be a great boon," I continued for my daughter.

"Not as much as being queen and mother to a future king," she replied drily.

"You do not believe that..." I looked at her aghast.

"The Grand Maester works for him... and he suddenly sugested a caesarean when his daughter was of marriagable age," Rhaenyra looked at me with dead eyes, the same kind of eyes she has when seeing a dark vision of the future. Oh, why does my daughter have to be burdened with such a great but cruel gift? "He could not have the king re-marry before his daughter could sneak into his bed and seduce him."

"That snake!" I seethed. "We have to do something! This goes beyond political manipulation, this is treason!"

"Which is why I had Larys look into Mellos and Otto," my daughter told me. "When he finds the link, we can have both of them gone and replace Mellos with Gerardys. He is loyal to House Targaryen."

"Good," I sighed. "You need to be more careful with me, daughter. So many surprises won't be good for my old heart."

"You are quite young, mother," Rhaenyra chuckled.