𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 | 𝐀𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧

_______________________

 𝐖hen the girl woke she jolted into an upright position immediately regretting it straight after feeling the vast amount of pain in her body

𝐖hen the girl woke she jolted into an upright position immediately regretting it straight after feeling the vast amount of pain in her body. Feeling the artificial sun rays on her eyes she figured she hadn't been out for too long. She breathed heavily while her fingers grazed over her bandages. "Hey hey...it's okay your alright..your safe" a calming voice spoke from beside her. Katniss. "How do you feel?" She questioned, placing a hand on her upper arm. "Like I've been torn apart" Quinn snarked in response as her breathing calmed down.

"𝐇ere. This was for you" The girl from 12 handed her the note. Quinn frowned slightly before unraveling the note to see what had been written on it.

'Pull a stunt like that again, I will kill you myself.
Stay strong, Remember you're mission kid'

—H

𝐀 coy smile grew on the victors face while reading the note before quickly folding it back up and tucking it into her sleeve. She turned to see Finnick not too far from them fishing for food. She then remembered how he had been the one who had carried her to beach and held her hand while screaming in pain. She frowned turning her head to look at the ground. "Look, I don't know what happened between the two of you, and quite frankly I don't want to know" Katniss began noticing her staring at the boy from 4.

"𝐁ut he saved your life back there. And trust me from the look on his face, he cares about you Quinn, a lot" Katniss finished her voice sounding genuine and sincere. Quinn picked at her nails anxiously. She didn't know what to say. Feeling a presence towering over her she turned to see Finnick taking a seat beside her. "I'm gonna go check on Peeta" Katniss spoke leaving the two alone together. "Hey..how do you feel?" He said awkwardly. "Fresh as a daisy.." She mumbled sarcastically.

𝐈t went silent for a moment."Thank you" Quinn said sincerely, filling in the awkward silence while Finnick gave her a confused look. "For what you did back there. Thank you.." She answered. "I did kinda save your ass" Finnick chuckled as Quinn allowed a smirk to grow on her face. The two stared intently at each other for a moment before the girl nervously broke eye contact and went back to picking at her nails. "You should stop doing that you know" Finnick spoke while grabbing her hand and grazing over the raw skin around her nails, to which she allowed him to do. "I know" was all she muttered in response.

𝐓he girl silently cursed herself under her breath. All these years she'd spent alone in fear of taking more innocent lives. No friends, no weakness, we're the words she remind herself over and over again every time she thought about letting anyone. There was this one girl she had met while mentoring, Cypress. She was only 13, Quinn knew she wouldn't make it. So did she, but she didn't care. She just wanted to spend whatever time she could with her idol. And still Quinn wouldn't let her in.

𝐒he knew how much to girl looked up to her, and yet she still acted as if she didn't care for her one bit. Quinn taught herself not to get attached to the kids she had to mentor but Cypress, she was different. She was the youngest Quinn ever had to mentor. When it came time for her games Quinn bended the rules slightly and bribed one of the game makers into making sure the games were more in her favour than the other tributes. Unfortunately Snow found out and surrounded her with jaguars that slowly ate away at her.

𝐐uinn was also punished for this. Snow killed her Aunt and cousin just to get back at her. After that she had nothing left. Until now. At this very moment Quinn Marshal had finally let her guard down. She was letting him in and selfishly she didn't want to let him go. She loved and hated it at the same time. It felt nice to finally have someone care about her, but now she had a weakness and she knew that if it came down to it, she would have to save him. In one moment she had changed everything. Undone the years of building up her reputation. In one moment she had made herself weak and vulnerable and painted a target on Finnick Odairs back.

𝐒he was getting too close. She was reopening her heart to someone and she actually kind of liked it. She liked how she could talk to someone who genuinely understood her point of view. From what she knew Finnick was also forced into the position she refused to fill. They've both had their fair share of trauma and he wanted to help her heal, but she had to meet him halfway. And it was hard. Quinn had grown to be emotionally unavailable over the years due to all her unspoken trauma that never truly healed. She struggled when it came to comforting people because she never ever had a shoulder to cry on whenever she got beat down over and over again.

***

𝐒he was snapped back into reality by the sudden feeling of hunger. She hadn't even realised how hungry she was before noticing Peeta carrying over a fish. Everyone dug in as the girl barely inhaled before taking another bite. She then got a sudden uneasy feeling jolt through her body as she dusted off her hands and jumped to her feet clasping onto her bow. Everything was still. It was too quiet, something wasn't right. There hadn't been any unfortunate event yet and the paranoia started to sink in. Finnick immediately stood up after her placing a hand on her back it an attempt to calm her down.

"𝐖hat is it" He questioned. "Somethings not right, it's too calm" Quinn squinted as the sun stung her eyes. "You sure its not just you being paranoid?" He teased as she sent him a knowing look. The others stood up as well noticing some sort of abnormal behaviour occurring just outside the tree line and everyone watched to see. "That's new" Peeta commented as they all shared looks of confusion. The victors watched an enormous wave crash towards the island and the cannon fired, creating a rippling effect through the arena. Like the fog, the wave seemed to have hit an invisible wall separating it from the other sectors.

𝐓hough the surge from the wave still reached their feet and washed away the food that had been placed on the ground. They all watched with raised eyebrows and confusion as the Heli-carrier came to take away the drowned tributes before disappearing again. This hadn't been the first time they had seen it come in to take away the fallen tributes. It had happened not too long ago to take away the body of a morphling who had given their life for Peeta. Quinn twitched as the water slapped against her ankles and danced at her feet. The cold feeling of it all. The girl listened to the sound of twigs snapping and angry voices. "Someone's here".

|𝐀𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧|