Chapter 19 - Nikki

"Everything ok, babe?" Claire asked as I slipped into the seat beside her.

"I think so. Or at least it will be."

"You tell me if you need someone to kick him in the nuts or something, because I absolutely will. No questions asked."

A smile broke across my face. "No nut kicking required for now."

"So we are cheering him on?" She asked as we watched the teams filing out onto the pitch below.

I laughed, "Yes, we are."

Claire gave a dramatic sigh of relief, "Thank fuck. Would have been awkward as hell sitting next to his family and booing."

I sniggered, "Can you imagine."

"Oh trust me, I already have." She said, "The whole time you were gone, I was wondering what to do. Unfortunately for his bill at the end of this, I raided the minibar for courage related reason in case it happened."

A whistle sounded somewhere in the distance and conversation dropped as we all focused in on the game.

The atmosphere of watching it with everyone here was a million miles away from my first experience and by the time the whistle blew for half time I was as invested as anyone else in the game.

The screen moved to an advert before a voice through the speakers announced they were going to do a kiss cam again.

My brows shot up in surprise that they would risk it after the drama of last time, and I couldn't help but smile as I watched the first two couples kiss.

Then the screen changed again and this time there was only one person in the heart.

Me.

Underneath, in white cursive on a pink banner it said, "Nikki, will you be my girlfriend".

The camera panned out slowly until I could see Evan stood behind me. Dripping with sweat, with mud and grass staining his kit, he looked a state. But he was my state, and he looked at me like I was the only woman on earth. I span in my seat to face him.

"So what do you say?" He asked, sounding uncharacteristically unsure of himself.

"I say, yes." I said, seconds before he claimed my lips and the world fell away around us.

There was only him and me. Ready to start the rest of our lives together.

- The End -