Chapter 12 - Evan

"So, where are you taking me?"

I glance sideways and catch sight of Nikki nervously tapping her fingers on the door, her leg bouncing with anxious energy in the footwell

"Hey." I reach out and touch the bouncing leg. "Take a deep breath. It's just dinner."

"I'm fine. What are we eating?" She dismisses quickly.

With a dubious last glance at her, I return my hand to the gear stick and my eyes to the road, focusing on navigating the roundabout. "So it's a little all-you-eat place that does lots of different foods from around the world. It's one of my favourite places."

"Is that Daveys?"

I glance at her quickly again. "Yeah! You know it?"

Nikki nods, "Doesn't everyone. I've heard lots of good things about it, but just haven't had a chance to go yet."

There's a little sadness in her voice as it trails off and I want to do anything to distract her from whatever triggered it.

"Well, I'm excited to be your first." I purr, and her giggle sends a thrill through me.

That was the type of laugh that could bring a man to his knees, and it was becoming abundantly clear she had no idea.

We fell into a comfortable silence as I drove and after a moment, I scrolled the dial on my wheel to turn the radio up. It was throwback hour with old club music playing. One song ended and Castles in the Sky began. It was clear she recognised the song and her head bobbed along to it, lips twitching with the effort of not singing.

"You like this one?" I asked.

"How can you not? It's a classic!"

I nodded in agreement. "So, what sort of music do you like?"

"Oh, anything and everything!" She laughs, closing her eyes and letting herself relax into the music. "It really does depend on my mood. Some days, all I want to listen to is Kisstory, and other days I'm belting out musical numbers."

I raise my eyebrow. "Oh really. Can't say I know much about musicals. You might have to educate me."

"Don't get me started or I'll talk your ear off about it all night." She snorts and then covers her face like she's embarrassed by the noise she made.

I don't even react. "Oh well, now I'm even more sure I need your recommendation of the best one to try first!" I say as we turn into the car park.

"You might live to regret starting this conversation." She grins, relaxing again.

As soon as we are parked, I rush round to open her door and help her out. "I couldn't never regret anything about spending time with you." I said, with a waggle of my eyebrows.

She rolls her eyes and I notice the flush on her cheeks is also spreading across her chest, before quickly pulling my eyeline back up.

From the expression on her face, it's clear she caught my ogling and I can't even bring myself to feel bad about it.

"Do you care where we sit?" I ask, placing one hand on her lower back and guiding her towards the restaurant.

She shook her head, "Not really. Like I said, I've not been here before, so I don't know it well."

"I was thinking about asking for one of the booths if they're free. They're just a bit more private and comfy."

And a bit less of a chance I'll be recognised, I add in my head. Not that I don't want to shout from the rooftops about the fact she agreed to a date with me. But I couldn't imagine Jarred would be too impressed if I ended up on the news without giving him a heads up.

"Sounds good to me." She smiled, leaning into my side almost automatically as we walked.

Reluctantly stepping apart as we enter the restaurant, we're immediately hit by the smells of incredible food. Heading over to the desk, I provide the booking name as she moves to the side to peer round the waiter. Her eyes growing rounder with every passing moment as she gets a better look at the different food stations.

I use the opportunity to drink her in. Those black jeans clinging to every curve and heels giving her a little wiggle in her step. The top resembles fancy lingerie and the connections that draw in my mind to what lies underneath are difficult to ignore.

She turns back to me with a smile, and I swallow down a lump in my throat. "It all looks amazing. How are you supposed to pick?"

The waiter saves me from having to answer. "That's the beauty of Daveys, Mr and Mrs Griffin. You don't have to. Please follow me and I'll show you to your seats."

I can tell she's rattled by the assumption we are together, but I don't want to correct him. "Could we get one of the booth seats up the back if they're free, please?"

He nods. "Of course, sir, madam, right this way."

Following him between the tables to the seats tucked furthest away from everyone else, he pulls out a lighter and set light to the candle rammed into a blue wine bottle in the centre of the table.

"So I'm assuming you've been before?" He asks.

I nod, "I have, but this is her first time."

He looks pleased. "Amazing. Well, welcome to Daveys and I hope you enjoy your meal. Someone will be along to take your drinks order shortly, but whenever you're ready, please help yourself to food from any of our buffet stations."

He gives a little bow before hurrying off and I note Nikki doesn't immediately sit down. Following her line of sight I catch her staring at the candle on the table, her mind obviously overthinking the moment.

Darting forwards I blow it out and wink at her before sliding into the nearest seat. "Wouldn't want it to look too romantic on our 'friend' date now, would we?"

She smiles faintly and finally slips into the seat opposite. "Definitely not. So what would you recommend trying first here, mister expert?"

"Hmm." I lean back in the seat and consider it. "I usually like to start with bits from the Chinese buffet and then work my way around the room trying bits from all of them."

Her eyes widened a little as she looked back towards the stalls and stands. "But there's eight zones?"

I shrug. "We have time, and I'm a picky eater. I tend to try little bits from different ones each time. That's the beauty of this place. You can literally get whatever you fancy and mix it up from more than one zone if you want too."

She fiddles with the knives and forks for a moment. "As long as you don't judge me for my food choices, I think tonight is going to be fun."

The comment is flippant, but there's an underlying nervousness to it. As though she pleading with me not to say something that will hurt her.

Reaching across the table, I take her hand in mine. "If there's one thing I can promise you, Nikki, it's that I will never, ever judge you." I promise her sincerely, "Unless you have pineapple on your pizza, in which case you're fair game."

The teasing has the desired effect and startles a laugh out of her, making me grin in response. This evening was going to go great, I could tell.