Chapter 10: The Sorting Hat

"Merlin, you're even piggier than Crabbe and Goyle."

We climbed on the marble stairs (Hagrid had left us by the door) and stopped in front of an old witch.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she said. "Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses.

"They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you are here, your house would be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded  the House Cup-"

"Trevor!" Neville yelled, interrupting the professor's speech. He pushed his way to the front and bent down to pick up his toad that croaked loudly, "Sorry..." he walked back towards his spot.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," she said then walked away.

As soon as she was out of sight, a boy yelled, "It's true, then? What they're saying on the train. The Potters have come to Hogwarts," he had blond hair that looked as if a bottle of hair gel had been dumped on his head.

Everyone started to whisper. "The Potters?" "Harry and Y/n Potter are at Hogwarts?"

"This is Crabbe, and that's Goyle," said the boy, introducing the two buffaloes next to him. "And I'm Malfoy," he said, standing in front of us. "Draco Malfoy."

Ron chuckled at the name, and Draco scowled at him.
"Think my name is funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley."

Ouch! What a savage. I gave Ron a small pat on the back.

"Soon you'll find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter," he said, turning back to my brother.

"You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there," he put his hand out for Harry to shake.

My brother looked from Draco's hand, to his face. "I think I could tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

Oof! What's with all the public humiliation?

I grabbed Draco's hand and shook it wildly, "Y/n Potter. You look funnier than your name."

Two boys walked towards Draco, "What's with you and your love for attention, Draco?" one of them asked.

Uh Oh. I know that voice.

"Tom's right. Why not give everyone a break?"

I turned acound to face the twins I saw in Diagon Ally.

Their eyes widened. "You!" Tom yelled, and I grinned.

"Me."

"You're Y/n Potter?" Mattheo asked.

"Quite right."

Tom looked like he was about to pull out his wand and threaten me with a spell, bur professer McGonagall appeared again.

"We are ready for you now," she said. "Follow me."

We followed her through the double doors and into the Great Hall.

It was lit by thousands of candles which were floating in mid-air over four long tables. At the top of the Hall was another lang table where the teachers were sitting.

The ceiling reflected the starry night sky. "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside, I read about it in Hogwarts: A History," Hermione whispered to me.