Chapter 8: Diagon Alley

"Relax, Mattheo. It was just a joke."

We were walking down a busy street. It was aready morning and I somehow had the energy to feel excited after a night without sleep.

I was skipping alongside my brother who was reading the school list of supplies. "'All students must be equipted with one standard pewter cauldron. And if they desire they may also bring an owl, a cat, or a toad.'" He stopped. "Can we buy all this in London?"

"I want a black cat! Or an eagle owl!" I said then gasped, "Can I have both?"

Harry and Hagrid have decided to ignore me since I have been speaking non-stop ever since we left the island.

"If you know where to look," Hagrid says to my brother.

We entered a small pub that was actually pretty big from the inside and was very familiar.

"Ah! Hagrid, the usual I presume?" said the pub owner that I knew was called Tom.

"No, thanks, Tom. I'm at an official Hogwarts business. Young Harry and Y/n are here for their supplies."

"Bless my soul... It's the Potter twins." He then looked at me and his eyes widened. "You-?"

I pointed at a random direction. "RAT!" I yelled causing some women to scream and hop onto their seats while Tom ran to get rid of the invisible rodent.

People from all sides started shaking our hands, introducing themselves and congratulating us for some reason.

"Harry and Y/n P-P-Potter," stuttered a young, bald man, wearing a purple turban. "Can't tell you how p-p-pleased I am to meet you."

"Hello, professor," says Hagrid, "Didn't see you there. Harry, Y/n, this is Professor Quirrell. He'll be your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Defense against the Dark Arts? He doesn't look like he could protect himself from a mosquito bite!

"Oh!" says Harry, putting his hand out for Professor Stutter-Tongue to shake it. "Nice to meet you."

The DADA teacher looked at my brother's hand with caution but didn't take it. "F-f-fascinating subject. N-not that you need it, e-eh, P-Potters?"

"Best be off now," Hagrid said. "Lots to buy. Hehe..."

"Goodbye," Harry and I say at once to Quirrell.

We exited the pub through the back door into a small courtyard where there was nothing but a dustbin.

"We're famous!" I sang. "I don't like the attention so much, but this is great!"

"Why are we famous, Hagrid? All those people back there, How is it they know who we are?"

"Not sure I'm the right person to tell you that," Hagrid answers.

"Yeah, Harry, Don't be such a party pooper. This is fantastic!"

Hagrid pulled out his umbrella and tapped it a few times on the wall. The bricks started moving, opening a doorway to reveal a cobbled street filled with the most peculiar shops you could ever find.

"Welcome, Potters, to Diagon Alley."

As we walked down the street, I tried to take in the place and wishing for arother pair of eyes. Hagrid pointed out a few stores telling us about the stuff it sells, but I stared at an owl that caught my attention. It stared at me silently as I ran to keep up with Hagrid's huge footsteps.

The people around here dress funny, I thought.

"Wow! Look at it! The new nimbus two-thousand!" A boy almost my age said as he and a group of other kids pressed their faces into a glass window that showed a broomstick.