Chapter 32

SOFIA

I know what they want me to do. Lie. Lie about me and Alec. Say it was a mistake, that I wasn't really thinking and he took me to his lodge in Vermont. All lies.

The palace was as expected not thrilled about my secret relationship. I was taken back to Cordelia the day I left. They wanted to make sure they put my mind back together. After millions of discussions in which I basically tuned out and let them decide my fate, the palace scheduled a conference at the Cordelian embassy in New York, for me to clear up the situation. And say the before named lies.

Alec has texted me all the time during the last days. I haven't answered. It's hard to breakup with someone you love more than anything and anyone.

Which leads me back to where I am right now. The conference. And the lies. After the Cordelian ambassador introduced me, I walk outside of my dressing room and on the stage. The chairs for the audience are all taken. Journalists, reporters, photographers...They all want answers. And I know this is big. I've never been involved in a scandal before. I can already see the headlines: The perfect princess gone rogue. I don't really care anymore. There's nothing they could say that would hurt more than losing Alec.

I'm on the stage and they're staring. But I am here with a mission. So I begin: "Ladies and gentlemen, people of the press, thank you so much for meeting me here today. I assume you might have many questions, so I announce the Q&A round started."

Everyone stands up, bows in front of me and then sits down. Many raise their hands to ask questions. The ambassador points to a random one of them to take the journalist to word.

"Maya Trace, The Public Source." She introduces herself. I greet her with a nod. She then asks her question: "Were you having an affair with Mr. Dunn?"

I freeze. And forget everything they told me to tell. All the lies. Gone. And I snap: "I can assure you I wasn't having an affair with Mr. Dunn. I was in a relationship with Mr. Dunn."

The crowd gasps. Darrel rolls his eyes exhausted. I block out and all I can see are the memories with Alec. Our holiday. Our dates. Our "not affair, but relationship".

The journalists keep asking questions, but they fade in my brain: Since when? Your Royal Highness, do you still love him? Will Alec Dunn be the next Prince of Cordelia? How did you two meet? Tell us about your dates. I start shivering and sweating. I think I might have a panic attack soon. They all stare at me and continue asking. Darrel steps in, telling the crowd to calm down. He then hands me my water bottle and I take a sip. They continue asking.

As on cue, the door opens. And I freeze harder. The person walking in is Alec. And he stares straight to me. Some bodyguards try to stop him, yet the weirdest thing happens. Darrel stops them. Yes, the Darrel who hates Alec. That Darrel.

Alec walks until he's only a few inches away and still looks me in the eyes. He puts an arm around my waist and pulls me to him. The crowd gasps. I am frozen. He bends down to my ear and whispers:

"I am not ready to say goodbye, Foxy. I don't think I ever will."

I shiver and he pulls me closer. He takes my hand, curls our fingers together and asks: "Are you ready to say goodbye?"

I shake my head. A spark of hope appears in his eyes.

"Still with me, Foxy?" he asks, in the same whisper tone.

I have lost my words, but I instinctively nod. He understands and the next thing I know he's crashing his lips on mine, showing the middle finger to the press people gasping and taking pictures. And for once, I don't give a shit about what they think. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him harder.

Because this guy is mine.

And he will always be mine.