Chapter 40

SOFIA

As I open my eyes, I am still spinning. It takes me a while to be able to see the different forms and distinguish some objects. I first feel something cozy around me. I look around and see Alec's arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tight. His eyes are closed and he's sleeping. He's not wearing any shirt on, just his pair of underwear. There's a wound on the side of his ribcage, like a scrape. It's then I remember what happened before I fell asleep. Shots. Blood. Silence. Alec must have been hit too. As I look down at me, I am wearing a large pyjama that must belong to him.

We're not in my room. Or his apartment. Or anywhere I know. We're in a room I've never been in before. The place looks dark. Black furniture and rugs, grey painted walls. There is no sign of color here. No sign of life. Except for us.

I try to stand up and walk around the place, yet Alec notices and pulls me closer to him. I can't even protest. I need him. As I am close, I go with my fingers along the scrape on his ribcage. I can feel him breathe heavier under my touch. I stop, after tracing a heart with my finger around the hurt spot.

As I try to close my eyes and go to sleep again, the events of last night flash through my mind again. I try hard not to scream. I just open my mouth and let the sound play in my mind. No one can hear my hurting. No one can hear me yell. The voice is inside. And is taking control of me. I want to disappear.

Alec unalived someone.

For me.

I want to disappear.

I open my mouth again and let out another scream inside me. This time, I am not alone with the scream. Although I didn't let out a sound, Alec felt it. He now takes me closer in his arms and opens his eyes. They stare at me worried. He kisses my forehead and lets me sink my head into his chest.

I shiver.

"Scream", he whispers to me, his lips pressed on the top of my head.

I look up at him confused, and he brushes a strand of hair out of my face.

"Scream", he tells me again. "Seeing you suffer is worse than any nightmare, Foxy. I want to share the pain with you. So scream in me."

I am still not confident, yet I agree. I sink my face in his chest and let out a scream. I can see him tense, seeing me hurt. He wraps his arms even tighter around me and doesn't let me move away. I fall deeper into him.

I am in love.

I made him do that.

I am a mess.

"I am so sorry", I whisper, as I look up to him again.

He looks at me questioning, as if he wouldn't know why I would ever apologize.

"Why are you sorry, Foxy?" He asks me. I try hard not to cry, yet I can't. Tears roll down my face. He quickly wipes them out with his thumbs, after cupping my face in his palms.

"That man...", I begin, my voice shaking. "That man...You did that...Because of me."

I start screaming again and more tears roll down my face.

"Because of me!" I yell, sinking my face into his chest again.

"Foxy, sweetheart, don't feel guilty. Don't feel sorry. I did it for you but it is not your fault." He tries to encourage me. "It is not your fault."

I shake my head to tell him he's wrong. "It is. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have done that. If it weren't for me..."

"I would have been dead." He finishes for me, his voice sad.

I look up at him, not understanding what he means. He understands and explains: "I wasn't a good person before I met you, Foxy. I was living but inside I was hollow. Something was missing. Someone. You fill me up, sweetheart. You make me whole. You're the reason I live. I would die for you. I would kill for you. You are the one I would do anything for. So don't feel sorry, Foxy. Never feel sorry. You're the one who brought me back to life."

I remain silent for a while.

I lost my words.

No words.

Then I collapse into his arms. And kiss him.

"My everything," he whispers while kissing me. I chuckle and pull him closer.

My everything.

It takes a while until we're brought back to reality and stop kissing. Alec is the one who stopped. He now looks at me honest and his eyes are grave. Something is up.

"What happened, babe?" I ask him worried, going with my hand through his hair. He still seems frozen and looks around the room.

"We should probably get out of here." He whispers. I don't know what is happening. Yet, from the look in his eyes, it seems to be something serious.

However, I don't think something is happening.

It's something about the place.

This place.

I nod and stand up to get changed. As I get on my feet, I feel all dizzy. Shot. Blood. Silence. Wound. I almost fall.

Alec comes and catches me from behind.

"Take it easy, sweetheart", he whispers in my ear, making me shiver. I can feel the echo of these four words in my every bone. The way he said it. The whisper, just for me to hear. I feel like I'm flying.

"I'm taking it easy." I reply, not knowing why I'm saying this.

"Then let me help you." He adds, again in that tone.

Damn butterflies.

He goes out of the room and comes back with a bag from my favorite fashion house. From there, he takes a dress and a pair of heels.

"How?" I ask, staring the bag. "When?"

"I had Adam pick it up yesterday", he explains. "He got worried as he saw me carrying you out of the bathroom and asked if he could help. I instructed him to get you some new clothes. I hope they fit."

I nod thankfully and he slips the dress onto me. It fits. And it's perfect.

"Thank you," I say, giving him a kiss. He seems pleased with his reward, since he quickly pulls me closer for another one.

"You also need to change." I remind him. He sighs amused and goes open one of the closets. They are all filled with suits, all perfectly styled and arranged by their colors. I never thought Alec cared so much about his fashion. This closet proved me wrong.

He loves his style.

As he's ready, he takes me on his back and carries me outside. The place we were in feels weird. It is a small bungalow in a forest. Alec carries me all the way out of the forest, through the garden of his mansion and to the car.

It's only after I'm on the passenger seat and he's driving his car next to me, that I make myself the courage to ask.

"What was that place, Alec?"

He tenses.