Extended Epilogue

ALEC

"Where are the brawberries, Daddy?" Livie asks from the chair in front of me, as she analyzes the many things on the kitchen isle. I follow her gaze, looking for the strawberries. I've tried to tell her once that they're actually called like this, she nodded agreeing and continued naming them her way. She's only five after all.

"Nice spotted, princess. It wouldn't be the same without brawberries." I reply which makes her smile. My heart skips a beat. Livie has her mother's smile. That beautiful honest smile, that makes me want to do anything so that it never fades away.

I go to the fridge and take out the strawberries. We've dipped them yesterday evening in chocolate, so that we could have everything ready now. Looking back at it, it seems to be a good decision, since Livie overslept today and only woke up after I sang her her favorite song, theme song from a princess television series. She loves anything that has to do with princesses and royalty and almost couldn't believe us as we told her she's a princess herself. Our future queen. Olivia Estair Dunn.

"Should we go over everything?" I ask and she quickly makes me a sign to be quiet, by putting her finger in front of her mouth. 

"Shh! We don't want to wake Mommy up." she says, reminding me of her mother and how feisty she gets. It's stunning how alike the two are. Although Livie's hair is brown like mine, straight however, everything else she got from her mother. The blue eyes. The kindness and courage. Even the occasional Oh my Gosh she sometimes lets out and her mother's passion for art.

"We don't", I answer whispering. "Sorry, sweetie."

She nods and makes her way next to me. As she's close, she tips me on my knee, since that's the height she reaches. I get the sign and bend down on my knees, to be able to look her in the eyes.

"It's okay, Daddy. You're forgiven", she answers, giving me a kiss on my cheek. As she tries to walk away, I trap her in a hug and start kissing her cheeks, making her giggle.

"Daddy, let me go. We'll be late." she says, fumbling to let the words out between laughter. I give her a last kiss on her cheek and let her go. She stays next to me and I lift her up to hold her in my arms, so that she can see the plates on the kitchen isle again. She wraps her hands around my neck and comes closer to my chest. I kiss the top of her head.

"So, I'll say the things, you check if we have them. How's that, princess?"

She nods and with the hand I'm not holding her I fish out the phone from my pocket and open it, revealing my screen saver with Foxy and Livie hugging. I sometimes open it while I'm working to make me smile and continue to work hard. Although the job as a CEO is tiring, I always come home in the evenings and keep the promise I made to Foxy, that I'll be there for her and spoil her with dinner every day.

I open the notes app and access the last entry from yesterday:

"So, croissants?" I ask.

Livie nods and answers: "Check."

"Brawberries?"

"Check."

"Pink lemonade?"

"Check.

"Balloons?"

Livie moves her gaze to the many pink and white balloons I filled with air in the morning, at around five o'clock, when she and Foxy were still sleeping.

"They look nice, Daddy." Livie tells me proud, patting me on my shoulder. I respond with a kiss on her cheek.

"And the presents?"