Chapter 36

SOFIA

I'm at Alec's and getting ready for his mother's party. I've spent the night over at him, since he was too afraid something could happen. I've never seen him like this before. Tensed the whole time, worried...The only time a smile appears on his face is when he sees me. And his world seems to be whole again.

"Are you alright?" I can hear my boyfriend's voice from outside the bathroom door. I've locked myself in here to do the make-up, gown and all.

"I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" I ask, carefully applying eyeshadow.

"You've been in there for over three hours now. I just wanted to check if you're okay." he explains, and I can hear in his voice how nervous he is. Luckily for him, I am done now so I open the door to come out. As he sees me though, he stops. Like literally freezes. His every muscle is tensed, his eyes are fixed on me and he starts biting his bottom lip. In return, I also stare at him. He looks drop dead gorgeous. With a black suit on, his hair styled and the scent of his masculine perfume taking control of me; I can't help but stare. And it makes me feel glad at the thought he's my boyfriend. Mine.

"Do you think this dress is fitting?" I ask him, still not knowing the reason he was staring. I was wearing a sleeveless black Chanel dress with some white pearls, my hair up in a bun, a pair of black high heels and the red lipstick he gave me. I don't know if it is enough or if I should have rather taken one of my ball gowns. I hope Alec has the answer.

He opens his mouth to say something, yet no words come out. He's frozen. As he notices that, he clears his throat and tries to speak again. This time, I'm actually able to hear something:
"I really believe you're trying to kill me, Foxy."

"How come?" I ask worried, playing with my fingers. He notices and hugs me, kissing my cheek.

"You. That dress. You. You took my breath away. My heart stopped." he explains and spins me around in a small pirouette: "You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, Foxy. The most beautiful."

I chuckle and kiss his neck: "Well, you're not so bad yourself, Mister."

He laughs softly and tries to kiss my mouth. I smirk and press my fingers on his lips, to stop him. He looks confused, so I tease him: "We don't want you to get kiss marks all around, do we?"

Alec gently pushes my fingers away and kisses my lips. Between kisses, he whispers: "I don't have any problem with that, Foxy. At least one thing would be made clear to the other guests. You're mine. Only mine."

I kiss my way around his neck and to his ear, in which I whisper: "Yours."

He looks at me with a smile on and takes my hand, leading me out of the room and to the elevator. We go to his car, followed by Darrel, who is in our shadow. Although I really wanted to ride the motorbike with him, I also had to think about not getting the dress all messy, so we decided on going by car inside. Alec opens the door to the passenger's seat and helps me in, then quickly goes on the other side and gets inside. On the road, we could see Darrel following us in the palace's SUV.

Alec is even more tensed now. I place my hand on his and curl our fingers, for him to now I'm there for him.

"What happened, babe?" I ask him in a quiet tone. He looks at me stressed and doesn't know if he should answer or not. He decided to lie.

"I just haven't seen them in a long time, that's all."

I nod, yet he realizes I read through his lie. I know it from the way he swallowed hard.

"Let me ask you differently", I continue. "What happened on your sixteenth birthday?"

He tenses. And doesn't want to say it. Yet he does.