~🎶~ (🍬🎹)

Hello! I'm back with some emusaki fluff requested by iloveemunene! I'm so sorry for taking ages making this, and I hope you guys enjoy <3

(This is set when Saki is in the hospital)

Scratching the wood on the bench in excitement, Saki was waiting for her best friend Ichika to visit her. She was outside and listening to the birds chirp in the early hours of the morning. The letter sent by Ichika was in her hand, one which explained that she'd come to visit very soon, in the afternoon. It was too early but Saki couldn't sleep. She was just glad that she would be able to see someone other than her family visiting. And that someone would be her best friend!

Or not.

"Um, Nurse Rei, are you sure she's visiting me?" Saki whispered to the nurse as she stared at the pink haired girl sitting on the chair next to her hospital bed. She was standing outside her room, goggling at the girl sitting in her room through the window on the door.

"Yes. She said her name was Otori Emu and she was here to see you, Saki." Nurse Rei nodded. Her hands were gripping a trolley full of trays of meals and drinks.

"I don't know this girl.." Saki mumbled and moved her eyes to the nurse. "Isn't Ichika here?"

Nurse Rei shook her head and wheeled it away. With a sigh, Saki looked back at the girl and then opened the door. On her face was a cautious look with wide eyes and a small frown.

"Hello.." Saki said quietly.

And then the girl turned around, her face now in view. Saki let out a gasp and her expression changed immediately.

"I know you!" she gaped at Emu, and after a few moments took a step forward. "I remember you.."

"Oh, hello!" Emu exclaimed, her eyes lighting up as she jumped up from her seat. "You're Tenma Saki, right? The pretty girl with two ponytails?"

"That's me." Saki nodded slowly. "How come Ichii didn't come today?" she asked herself quietly.

"Are you talking about Hoshino-san?" Emu asked, tilting her head.

How did she hear me? How good is her hearing? Saki thought as her eyes widened. She cleared her throat and nodded her head.

"Unfortunately she wasn't able to visit you." Emu sighed. "I'm not sure what happened but I remember she came up to me a week ago and asked me if I could deliver this to you and tell you everything happening at school!"

A slightly crumpled letter was held in Emu's right hand. It was held out in her palm, so Saki could see the periwinkle coloured envelope and the cute stickers plastered all over it.

"Oh.. I hope she's alright." Saki grabbed the letter and opened it. She took a seat on her bed and read the content carefully, sighing or gasping at some moments.

After ten minutes, she was three quarters into the letter when she remembered Emu was still here. She looked up and saw the pink haired girl was staring down at her with a soft smile.

"Hey, this hospital is so far away.. how come you accepted Ichii's request to visit me?" Saki couldn't hide the suspicion in her voice and face. She didn't want to seem rude or accuse Emu of something. She didn't even know what she was accusing Emu of!

"Well.. hospitals are full of sickness and sadness." Emu explained as she took a seat on the armchair next to the bed. "I remembered you from elementary school! That day when you played that beautiful song on the piano.. it made my heart go BAM-BAM! What day was that on? It was a talent show, right? I recall rushing backstage after your song and telling you how much I loved it before the teachers told me to sit back in my seat..

"But, yeah, when I heard you were hospitalised, I desperately wanted to see you! It's my job to make everyone smile! I want you to smile, no matter how hard things get. I want to be your good friend."

Saki stared at her for a few moments, her mouth slightly open and her eyes shining. Slowly, a small grin started to form on her face and she relaxed into the headboard of the bed.

"Thank you." Saki said quietly and put the letter down on the nightstand. "How will you make me smile then, Otori-san?"

"From this.." Emu cleared her throat and stood up. Her eyes were closed and her expression looked focused and serious. Suddenly, her hands waved upwards and she did a small jump. "Wondahoy!☆" she cheered.

Blinking rapidly, Saki gaped at her for a few moments before bursting out laughing. Tears came to her eyes and she clutched her stomach. Emu watched her with a small grin on her face but also eyes of curiosity. Once Saki calmed down, she took deep breaths and looked up at Emu with a wide smile on her face.

"What was that?" Saki inquired as she wiped the tears from her eyes with her arm.

"My catchphrase! It helps cheer people up! Including me!" she replied cheerfully. "Did it work? Are you feeling better?"

Saki gazed out the window for a few moments, staring at the dead city before her. It wasn't as joyful as her hometown and always made her feel even worse. Right now, it was raining heavily and the clouds were dark, covering the whole sky. Right now, she'd be feeling terrible and gloomy. Right now, she's feeling the happiest she ever felt ever since she was hospitalised.

"Much better.." Saki whispered and looked back at Emu.

With a loud slam, the door opened and Nurse Rei stepped in.

"Oh, sorry! Never meant to open it that harshly." she frowned. Then she looked up at Emu and Saki. "Apologies for disturbing you two, but Emu has to leave. Saki, you need to go for your check-up. Dr. Sato is waiting for you."

"Ah.. but-" Saki protested.

"No worried!" Emu chirped. "Tenma-san, I hope you won't mind if I come back to visit you next weekend?"

"Really?" Saki gasped. She then stood up and grabbed Emu's hands. They were warmer and softer than her own, which made her quite surprised. "Promise me you'll come to visit!"

"Of course!" Emu grinned even more. "I'll make sure that my next visit is even more merry and exciting than this one."

"I'm sure it will be." Saki giggled and let go of Emu's hands. "Bye, Otori-san."

"You can call me by my first name! Emu!" the pink haired girl smiled as she walked to the door, where Nurse Rei stood.

"Okay! Bye-bye, Emu." Saki gave her a sweet smile and sat back on her bed.

"Did you know Emu means smi-"

"Alright, I have duties, ladies! Time to get going!" Nurse Rei shook her head as she pulled Emu from the door and into the corridor. With a yelp and a laugh, Emu followed the nurse down the corridor. Saki opened the door and watched her new friend being dragged away, her trainers squeaking against the marble floor. And with one last wave, Emu disappeared past the double doors at the end of the corridor.

The pattering of the harsh rain made Saki realise just how light she was feeling. It was different to the usual heavy and lonely feeling that lived in her mind every day. She pulled the covers of her bed up and grabbed the letter sent by her best friend. For once, there was not an inch of sadness or jealousy in her heart while she read about the events happening at school. All that was evident in her heart was joy and after many minutes, her cheeks started to ache from smiling too much.

Her eyes watched the dead city outside, now even dimmer in the rain. It looked much brighter to Saki now and when she laid back in her bed, closing her eyes, the soft smile remained on her face.

"Saki! You ready for your next check-up?" a voice called as the door opened suddenly.

Saki shot up from the bed, her eyes wide and awake. It was Dr. Sato.

"Ready!" she exclaimed as she scrambled up from her bed.

"Oh? Where's this new energy coming from? Was it your brother's wild shows?" Dr. Sato chuckled.

"Actually, it wasn't.." Saki shook her head as she walked to him, slipping on her shoes and following him down the corridor with a new light in her eyes.