Chapter 13:Feelings Within

"Mei!" My friends approach me.

"Hi..." I wave at them.

"Let's eat together!"

It's already lunch time and Saito is still completely ignoring me. Now both of them are mad at me? I can't help but think about what he said earlier. I want to express my gratitude for all that he have done for me but I think it's too late.

"What's wrong Mei?" Chiyo asked.

"It's nothing, don't worry."

"Stop lying, we've known each other for a long time. We can tell whether you are saying the truth or not."

"Sa...Saito has been ignoring me. Well you see...he's my best friend... formerly. I already told you both before right? When I got into an accident, he's actually the one who rescued me. And now he thinks that I'm much more obliged to talk to him because I owe him a lot. He thinks that I'm only talking to him because...I'm forced to."

"But is that the only reason?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Mei, you're smart, but you don't know anything about other's feelings. Poor Saito..." Asami said.

"Eh?"

"Look, there's no way that he's disregarding you. His eyes were always on you since he came here, he was always watching over you from afar and he looked very happy doing that indeed." She sighed.

"How do you know that?"

"We saw him talking to you one time and he acted very coldly. We were curious about his attitude towards you so we kind of investigated him."

"T-That's creepy!"

"Hey wait! Let me finish first." She pouted.

"Okay..."

"Even though he acted that way, he always regrets it. Remember that time when both of you became seatmates? We found out that he actually convinced sensei for it. He might not look like it, but he seems to care more for you. Maybe he wants you to remember him that badly. He wants you to only look at him. Goodness! You're so clueless."

I thought that he was very stubborn at first but after some time, he's not like that at all in the inside. Not because he's my childhood friend, but because I now know my true feelings. I'm just misunderstanding him all this time.

"Chiyo, Asami, thank you!" Saying that I quickly hugged both of them.

(Ring! Ring!)

"Mei, it looks like someone is calling you."

When I looked at my phone, Shito's name was on it.

_____________________________________

"Listen, Shi--" I was trying to apologize but..

"Mei, I'm sorry for shocking you like that yesterday and for not talking to you this morning. I now know that whatever I do, you won't ever love me the same way I loved you. But it's okay, as long as you're happy, I'm happy too."

After that he told me to go to the school's rooftop. I wonder what's out there?
When I finally arrived, I saw Saito standing there and gazing at the sunset. He looks like an angel. A gentle breeze cut through between us as he noticed me from behind.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Shito asked me to---"

Wait...so Shito set us up here? What is he thinking? But I can't waste his efforts. And besides I don't want to miss this chance to talk to him.

"Never mind, I'll go back now."

"Wait!" I held his arm firmly.

"I already told you that---"

"I'm not talking to you because I'm forced to! It's because I just simply want to! I don't care about what happened in the past, the only thing that matters to me is the Saito whom I've known this time!" I exclaimed.

"You're only saying that to make me feel better...but you don't even remember me." Saying that, he escaped my grip and he began to walk away from me.

"How can you say that!? Even just a little, I know that you still care for me. Despite knowing that I've already forgotten, you still continued to watch over me. I'm grateful that I was able to meet you again! Right? SAI-KUN."

He was speechless at the words I threw at him. But then he smiled and walked towards me. And as the distance between us decreases little by little, he said something that made me remember even more.

"You're the same as always...MI-CHAN."

When he was finally in front of me, he pulled me closer to him until our lips press together in a kiss, confirming what we feel for each other. He kisses me passionately along with the great view of the sunset. It was so sudden but he made my heart very warm. We finally solved our confusions and we learned our true feelings within.

As our lips parted, my phone suddenly rang and it was Shito again.

"Hello?"

"Mei, yo-your parents are here!"

"Ehh!? Saito I need to go, my parents already came back home!"

But then before I could go, Shito asked me to give the phone to Saito.

_____________________________________

~SAITO'S POINT OF VIEW~

Mei gave me her phone and Shito talked to me.

"I know that I'm not the one she loves. But Saito, don't ever make her cry. If you do, I'll never give her to you okay?!"

I gazed at Mei and gave Shito my ultimate reply.

"Don't worry! I'll see to it that she will never be upset anymore, that she will from now on smile brightly like the sun."

After that, I grabbed Mei's hand and we started running. Seeing Mei's smile makes me calmer than ever. Being with her makes me feel at ease. Holding her hand gives me strength.

I will never let go of this hand again.