Chapter 10:Punishment?

"Is this okay? Hmm...."

Ahhh! I can't choose what to wear, they are all gorgeous!

"Mei, come on! Can't you choose faster? Your friends are waiting for you!" Shito complained.

I told him to wait a little longer, I want to look my best at the beach of course.
Why can't he understand something so simple like that? It's not like I'm bragging or anything. After changing, I made my way downstairs. My friends were waiting for me outside. I ran towards them and we eventually started walking towards the beach.

_______________________________________

"Wow!"

The wonderful scenery of the vast ocean left me speechless for a while. Plus! The sand is really white. I went here with mom and dad last time, I didn't notice that it was THIS beautiful. Maybe it's because I was just a kid that time. Now that I'm 14, I need to enjoy this with my friends instead.

"Mei?" I heard a familiar voice behind me.

Saito!? Why is he here? So my friends really did invite him. I gaze at my friends to find them grinning at me. Wait, what is going on?

Leaving the questions behind, we decided to set up a barbecue party near the shore.
I saw Shito and Saito talking to each other. An electrified atmosphere suddenly sprung up, battling back and forth between them. It's as if they are fighting using their minds.
I've never thought about it before but whenever I talk about Saito, Shito would always give me a confusing expression. Do they really hate each other that much?

"Hey! What are you doing? You're burning the food." Saito suddenly approached me and pointed at the barbeque... which is burnt.

"Ehh? Wait, sorry! I didn't mean to burn the meat." I apologized.

"Can both of you look after here? We're just gonna go and buy more meat."

My friends dragged Shito with them. Then they winked at me before they left. That means, I'm gonna be all alone with Saito!? I tried to stop them but it was too late. What are they even thinking!? Now it's up to me to deal with him again. And I feel so bad for burning the meat, what a waste!

Silence stretched between us for a little, making the atmosphere uncomfortable. I'm really tired of being so awkward so I tried to talk to him for awhile.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked.

"One of my mom's patients are currently living near here." He answered.

So he was not invited by my friends after all. But the fact that this was a complete coincidence is totally bothering me. It looks like my friends knew about it and they decided to set him up with me. I remember telling them that I'm single, but this is not what I meant! I'm not in the mood to look for a boyfriend! I'm really gonna scold them later! And...I've never had a boyfriend before either.

"Uhhm...I'll just go and take a dip at the water!"

I might as well avoid the awkward atmosphere between us. I don't know but whenever I'm with him, my chest feels really weird. And the silence is killing me...

"Ohh..Okay."

______________________________________

I carefully observed the area, marveling at the natural beauty surrounding me. Looking at the water, it looks like it was sparkling at the sun's touch. So majestic!
I walked to the sea and enjoyed myself swimming.

As I dived in, I found a lot of small fishes circling around me. It feels as though they were dancing. Before I knew it, I was already going far from the land. Realizing it, I started paddling back. Then suddenly---

"Ouch!"

My right foot began to hurt. The pain was growing rapidly as I paddle. Why do I have to get leg cramps at a time like this?!

I called out for help but it looks like nobody can hear me. I started to struggle, the water was already running through my lungs until I can't breathe anymore. I can only see the light from the sun, it was getting darker as I fell deeper...

My body was in deep agony, I feel like my life was being sucked out of me little by little. Is this my punishment? For not finding that 'person'?
I saw a shadow above...it opened its arms, reaching out towards me in its embrace.
But then, my consciousness started to fade away.