Rick x Reader

[Pretend Lori's been dead okay 💀]

It's been about three months since Lori's death. I was there for Judith's birth and I can remember Lori's screams like it only happened two seconds ago. I tried to distract Rick from this dark chapter, but I ended up stopping myself, not wanting to look like I was into Rick and that I was just trying to get in his pants.

I do like Rick. He's attractive both by looks and personality. Lori was hella lucky. I was always so jealous, but I wouldn't let it show. I respect boundaries, even when they hurt. I've know Lori all my life. She was like a sister to me. Hell, I met Rick because I was the secretary of the sheriff's station him and Shane worked at. We went on a double date, Shane was more into Lori, obviously but at least Rick was treated good, by a wonderful woman like Lori, and was blessed with an angel of a son.

But, no matter how bad I felt on the inside, it was always Rick's feelings and family first. Not mine. No matter how much I loved him. I couldn't do anything about it.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I continued to load the car for a run Rick planned to do himself. I finished up and closed the trunk before starting up the engine. I heard footsteps crunch on the gravel behind me, making me turn around to face Rick. "Y/n, I want you to come with me. I'd like to have you as company." He said softly. "You don't have to come if you don't want to. Just thought we needed to talk about something important." He added. I slowly nodded, feeling a slight blush burn onto my face. "Sure. I'll come with. Lemme just get ready real fast." I say, earning a nod from the man.

After both physically and mentally preparing myself, I exited the prison, ruffling Carl's hair on the way out, and making my way towards the car. I got into the passenger seat, as Rick was in the driver's seat, patiently waiting for me. I sat down and got situated, putting on my seat belt, making sure it doesn't get tangled in my weaponry belt, getting comfortable on the cushioned seat. Rick turned the car from park to drive, resting his hand on the middle console. We were silent until I spoke up. "So, you said there was something important you wanted to talk to me about?" Rick turned down the music playing from the stereo before speaking. "Yeah." He said, glancing at me. "Well, I'm all ears." I giggled.

Rick took a deep breath, "You've been distant since... Lori's... y'know. I just wanted to know if you were alright. You two were always inseparable." He let out a laugh, "Hell, you spent more time with Lori all the years we were married." I let out a soft chuckle. "I didn't want to stress you out more. I mean, your wife passed away, your daughter doesn't have a proper mother, you're the leader, it's just, I didn't want to get in the way like I always have been." I explained, looking out the window, trying to distract myself from the memory of my best friend's death.

"What do you mean by 'in the way'?" He asked, glancing at me. I sighed softly. "Just-- Just forget about it." I say softly, blinking away the tears that filled my eyes. It was more of letting my feelings get in the way. I felt a gentle hand place itself on mine. I glanced at Rick who was holding my hand. "If you mean that you felt as if you were bothering me, you weren't. It's always nice to have someone like you by my side." He said, glancing at me again before turning back to the road.

We were silent the rest of the way, Rick refused to let go of my hand the whole time. He would tighten his grip slightly if I moved my hand even the tiniest bit. I blushed deeply every time he tightened his grip. When we arrived at the place, it was a small cabin. It looked really cozy, honestly. We made our way in, tapping the door frame for walkers. Nothing came at us, so we headed in, closing the door behind us. "I'll check down here, you check upstairs." Rick whispered, earning a nod from me. I walked up to see a small bedroom. It was untouched, but a little dusty. I went through the drawers, finding medicine, bandaids, hand cream, a small hand gun, and... condoms... lovely.