Courtroom Hearings

The brisk walk was completely silent. It didn't bother Jessica, she was too deep in thought. Jim was in so, so, so, so much trouble as soon as she got her hands on him.

The hearing was just starting when she entered the courtroom. Jessica glanced up to see Admiral Barnett begin the proceedings.

"This session has been called to resolve a troubling matter. James T. Kirk, step forward."
Jim rose and stepped forward to the first podium.
Barnett continued. "Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council, suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to Regulation One-Seven point three of the Starfleet Code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir?"

Ciara was sitting next to Bones. "He's going to be an idiot, isn't he?"

"That's the only Jim we know." Bones crossed his arms in silent agreement.

Jim kept a neutral expression. "I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly."

Spock rose, adjusted his shirt, and descended the stairs to the opposing podium.

Barnett turned his attention to the Commander. "This is Commander Spock. He's one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years. Commander?"

Spock half turned to Jim. "Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test."

Jim rolled his eyes. "Your point being?"

"In academic vernacular, Jim." Jessica stood about halfway down the stairs. "You cheated."

Both Jim and Spock turned around to Jessica. She straightened her uniform and continued her descent.
Jim went to meet Jessica at the bottom of the stairs but Spock was faster. Spock crossed to the stairs and offered up his hand before Jim had barely moved once. Jessica and Spock locked eyes for a moment before she took his offered hand. She gave a nod of thanks before she joined the podium with her brother.

"Jessica look, I didn't think -"

Jessica snapped at her brother. "That's exactly your problem Jim, you didn't think."

Admiral Barnett folded his hands. "Cadet Kirk, I apologize for pulling you away from proctoring this morning."

Jessica straightened up and folded her hands. "No need for apologies, Admiral. I'm sure all parties involved want this matter resolved as quickly as possible."

Admiral Barnett gave a nod. "Then let's begin. What were your whereabouts between 20:00 hours and 0:600 hours on Stardate 2258.41?"

Jessica kept her hands folded. "I was in the Academy Hospital assisting Dr. Puri in labor and delivery. A Gorn had a ruptured egg sack."

Admiral Barnett nodded and tapped his desk. Dr. Puri appeared on hologram moments later. "Admiral. How can I be of assistance?"

"I need to confirm the whereabouts of one of your students."

Dr. Puri gave a nod. "Of course."

"Can you confirm that Cadet Jessica Kirk was in labor and delivery with you last night?”

Dr. Puri gave a laugh. "Admiral, have you ever had the pleasure of watching a Gorn give birth?"

"No doctor I can't say that I have."

Doctor Puri gave a shake of his head. "Its messy at best and deplorable at worst. Have you had the pleasure of being sprayed with the lactoside a Mother Gorn produces during the birthing procedure?"