60

Rory woke up to the sound of low bickering. Her vision was still blurry. Her eyes continued to open and close slowly because of the piercing light that was aimed directly at her pupils.

"Now isn't the time, Decha," Jessica's soft voice rang in Rory's ear.

"Now is the perfect time to start." Decha rebuked. "She could've died. She doesn't have much time left. If I hadn't noticed her condition in time... she..." He paused.

"Decha, this surgery isn't something you can easily recover from. You still have to solve this case. Even more so after what that dastard did to our home!"

"Screw the case!" Decha shouted. "If something happens..."

"Decha, you're acting unreasonable!"

"Unreasonable?" A bitter scoff came from him.

"When was the last time you've gotten any sleep? You look exhausted. Take a rest and think it through. Then we will decide whether to commence. Donating a kidney isn't as simple as you think it is. You have to stay in bed to recover. Who knows what will happen while you're bedridden?"

Rory squinted and rolled her head to the side hearing their conversation. Were they talking about her? What did they mean by donation? Decha was giving away his kidney?

Why would he do something so risky right when he was so close to finishing the case?

"Schedule the surgery for tomorrow. Now." Decha ordered. "I've thought it through."

"You'll end up killing yourself by working right after." Jessica's voice cracked. It was more sorrowful than before.

"That's fine by me." Decha huffed.

Rory felt a warm hand grab onto hers. It was Decha's. He took off his gloves. Rory frowned after noticing that.

"I want to give her a chance."

"What if the surgery causes complications?"

"It won't,"

"You don't know that!"

"Because I'll make sure nothing goes wrong during this surgery. Everything within my ability to make sure Rory makes it out alive."

Was he donating his kidney to her?

Rory felt her stomach sink.

A soft kiss was placed on her forehead, and Rory could hear Jessica gasp. She groaned and began to stir. A moment later, she was finally able to see Decha.

He looked like a mess. His hair was damp and disheveled. His face was still stained in black dust from the smoke. His dark eyes stared at her in a way she didn't feel comfortable with.

There was fear in his eyes. She could tell. Rory realized that there was an IV standing next to her, and an oxygen mask around her face, supplying her with air. Her mind struggled to remember what happened or why she was there.

"Decha..." Rory's voice came out all scratchy. She began to cough. That's when she realized that she didn't feel so strong. Her body was weakened. She hadn't felt like this in a long time.

Rory tried to push herself up, but Decha grabbed onto her shoulders and nudged her back against the pillow. "Your eyes..." Rory whined.

"Don't move," Decha shook his head. He feared that her using too much of her energy would make things worse. "Just lay there,"

"What happened? Why am I plugged into this machine?" 

"You just... passed out. It's okay."

"I can't move my legs..."