43

Don't mind me. Just a Little taste of what's to come.

~

Decha regretted his actions so much that he asked Rory to come back. He didn't know what to say afterward. "I didn't mean it like that. I'm just exhausted. There's a lot on my mind right now." Decha admitted, ashamed. "So don't take it the wrong way."

"You're apologizing..." Rory gasped softly, before grinning at him. "You've never apologized to me before. I guess something very strenuous must've happened while you were at the Agency." She teased and walked back over to him.

"I just don't want you overthinking and coming to me with more bull about Astellians versus Bracketers," Decha grunted. He didn't want a repeat of the other night. Quite frankly, he wasn't in the mood to argue with Rory. "Just for once, let's put aside our nationalities."

"I only do that because sometimes I can never tell what you're thinking." Rory huffed. "You know, things would be a lot easier if you just communicated with me. Like telling me directly about your thoughts."

"That's... easier said than done." Decha scoffed. A vulnerability was his weakness. He never let his guard down that easily, unless he was doing it without realizing it.

"You can start by telling me about the woman in your sketches."

"Why do you want to know about her?" Decha raised a brow.

"I'm just curious. You two must've been pretty close if you took the time out to draw her."

Decha snorted. 'Pretty Close' was a huge understatement. Chai was the love of his life before she disappeared. "She's my ex."

"Oh." Rory's smile dropped. She didn't know how to respond. From the look he was giving, it seemed like Decha wasn't over her. All her thoughts about liking Decha quickly went away.

She wanted to know what happened between them. Why did they break up? Decha could tell Rory was fighting to ask him about Chai. The way her body tensed up amused him.

"Don't overload your brain. It's fine. It happened a while ago."

"Are you okay?"

"Fine." Decha shrugged, not wanting to focus on the past.

"Why did she break up with you?" Rory groaned, not understanding why anyone would want to break off their relationship with him. Yeah, he was reserved, but he was a deep thinker. You just had to give him a chance to open up.

The confused expression Decha sent her made Rory rephrase her question. "I mean, why did you break up with... her? I didn't mean to assume."

"Neither of us broke up with each other."

Rory didn't understand what he meant. That only told her that Decha was still with her. So technically, she wasn't his ex. But Decha and Rory kissed. Rory panicked. Did that mean Rory was intruding on their relationship? Decha was a cheater!

"She disappeared." Decha tossed the book aside, bringing Rory out of her imagination.

"She... disappeared?"

"When you're on the Outside, there's no guarantee anyone will complete an assignment and make it out alive. It's dangerous out there. There are tons of wild creatures, and the travelers from other countries aren't all friendly." Decha explained.

"When you are stationed to work Outside the Sectors, you're a representative. This means you constantly have to travel to other countries and meet with their leaders. Chai was stationed at my camp and received an order directly from the King of Hanahas."