4

Rory snuck down the stairs in a hurry. She wanted to go to the Border train without her father. The first night she arrived home from school, he pestered her about the details. She decided to keep being mistreated by some students a secret from him.

More than that, she wanted to be more independent. Others were traveling to the Border train. At first, she dealt with it, but it's been a few days now and it was starting to get old. She wasn't a kid anymore. There was no reason for her father to escort her to the train like he was sending her off to primary school. She understood that it was because of his love and wanting to protect her, but still. Rory was 24 years old and had the right to her own decisions. The legal age in the Brackets was 19.

Rory tiptoed past the hall and crouched under the kitchen counter to get to the exit of their apartment. But her foot stepped on that one stupid creaky wooden board in the entire room, and she winced. Her father, who was cooking breakfast on the stove turned around and saw her.

"Rory! Are you headed to school now?"

"Crud." Rory glared at the creaky floorboard and muttered under her breath. "Yeah, I was just headed out."

Jamison wiped his hands off on a kitchen towel and flipped it over his shoulder. "I'll take you."

"That's fine! I can go by myself. I know you have to get to work soon, so if you take me to the train you'll get to your job late. I don't want that. So I'll see you when I get back. I'll be home before curfew." Rory paced toward the door, but as she reached the exit of their apartment, her name was called.

"Rory, aren't you forgetting something?"

"No? I have everything. I have my notebooks, textbooks, ID, and my medication."

"Your lunch." He grabbed onto her green lunch bag and tossed it at her. "Remember what I told you about Astellian food? This is why I prepare lunch for you. I don't want you eating something you're not familiar with."

Rory groaned. Her father was giving her the same lecture. "I know. I know. I'm not going to eat anything on the other side."

"How many tekels do you have left?"

"I have enough to get me there and back."

"I'll transfer a bit more into your card. You've been wanting another textbook, right?"

"That's okay. The school gives us everything to follow along on our tablets. I've gotta get going, dad." Rory gave him a warm hug. "I'll see you later."

"I love you." Jamison pat her shoulder softly as they both pulled away. "Don't get into trouble. Don't ramble about your inventions."

"I won't." Rory smiled, but on the inside, she realized didn't even want to share her skills with the other students. So far, she hasn't met one student that didn't tease her or push her around. Everyone there was rich and entitled. "Bye!"

Rory left her home and went off in the direction of the border. She walked past many restaurants, shops, and other city buildings to get to a bus stop to take her to the train. And when she got to the train, she scanned her ID card, and the Generals stationed there allowed her to enter.

The ride was silent as the train started and passed through the tunnel to Sector A. There weren't that many passengers on board today, and Rory thought it was odd. Usually, everyone would be headed to jobs or shops in Sector A. It must've been different for today.

The train continued for about 15 minutes before stopping at the Sector A border. The generals stationed on the other side allowed her to pass because they recognized her uniform. By now, it was already known by them that someone from Sector B attended Grandell. So whenever she got off the train, they didn't check much except for her bags.