E I G H T E E N

A smile forms on Harry's face when he sees the familiar house again.

Sure, he has been living on his own for quite some time already, but still when he sees his childhood home, he gets that homey feeling. Maybe it's because his family feels like home or because the memories do. Harry doesn't know.

He knocks a few times on the yellow door, which also has some broken blue in it. There are a few seconds of silence until he can hear some distant stumbling, indicating that someone is getting ready to open the door.

The thing is, Harry didn't mention to his mom that he was coming to visit, so it will be a surprise. A pleasant one, he hopes.

The door finally creaks open and his mother's friendly face greets him. Harry immediately tackles her into a hug, a real momma's boy, and Anne laughs happily when she feels her son's arms wrap around her.

"Harry! What a surprise to see you here." She chuckles, hugging her son closer. "I'm so happy to see you."

When she pulls away, a small frown is formed on her face. "Shouldn't you still be in Greece? I thought you were coming home in three days?"

Harry sighs and nods. "Yeah, it's a long story. Maybe we can grab some tea and then I'll explain?"

Anne is confused, but nods wearily, letting her son enter their home.

The kettle is put on moments after and they both wait until they have prepared their cuppa before taking a seat in the living room.

"So, what is the story?" Anne asks as she carefully tries taking a sip of her hot tea and succeeding.

Harry clears his throat and mentally prepares himself for the conversation he's about to have. He tells his mother about the breakup and is immediately pulled into a hug when he has told her. After that, he starts telling the even worse part of the story, all the mistakes he has made, starting with meeting Louis. Harry doesn't miss the disapproving glances his mother sends him, and it makes him feel ashamed, probably his karma.

Harry then does conclude his story by telling that he learned from his mistakes and is planning to go into therapy to sort through a few things. He also mentions that he and Louis are starting their dating faze, making Anne's face light up.

Anne stands up when no voices echo through the living room anymore and Harry has finished his story, and pulls her son into a tight hug, kissing him on the forehead. "I'm so proud of you, sweetheart."

When Harry frowns a little, Anne smiles. "Obviously you made a lot of mistakes, but you were hurting terribly. I hate to tell you this, but Sam has mistreated you and changed you as a person. Of course, that's not an excuse, but it does explain some of the things that happened. The past, however, is so insignificant. It's important what you learn from the past and that you try to be the best person you can be every single day. That will make you happier in life and it will make a huge beneficial difference for the people around you too." Anne runs her hand through her son's curls, comforting him. "You are heading in the right direction, Harry, and that makes me unconditionally proud."

Tears are escaping Harry's eyelids after that speech and he burrows his face on his mother's shoulder, seeking her warmth and love by holding her closely.

-

Harry stays with his mother for three more days and is enjoying every second of it. His sister also comes for a visit, brightening up his day even more, and he's glad that he decided to come to Holmes Chapel.

On the third day, he is sitting in the living room again, this time reading a book and relaxing in one of the armchairs.

He's snapped from his haze when he feels his phone vibrating, telling him that someone is calling him. He fishes his phone out of his back pocket and sees that Niall is trying to reach him.