011: turn the light on

"spring: a lovely reminder of how beautiful change can be."

the day after the reevaluations, it was time to prepare the trainees for the stage of the signal song. it was divided into two sections, one for the korean trainees and one section for the global trainees. it was going to be an odd balance, mainly because there may be more trainees on one side of the tier than the other.

at the top of the stage would be the center, the main stage would be the all stars, and it kept getting lower until the ground, where the zero star trainees would perform.

"all star trainees, raise you're hand, you're coming with me," eunha said, leading them up to the stage. after the evaluation, there were many new faces to the group. it now consisted of sung hanbin, matthew, zihao, taerae, mun junghyun, gunwook, seowon, and a few others.

"it's so high up here," jay said in english to matthew.

"i know! i'm so happy we're all here together," he smiled.

while waiting for the other trainees to get on stage and for the producers to explain the details to them, the all star trainees were joking around.

"what if we fall from this stage?" gunwook laughed.

"it's okay, gyuvin can catch you from up here," zhang hao pointed to him. gyuvin smiled from the bottom and waved.

"guys you won't fall from here, i promise. unless you're on the lower levels, you might fall off because the stages move around a ton," eunha joked. "once, i don't really remember who did this, but they actually fell off of one of the bottom stages and weren't able to actually perform."

"actually?" hanbin asked.

"yup, just ask hyewon if you ever get the chance to meet her. i think she was right there when it happened!"

eunha continued with a bunch of stories that happened during produce 48.

"one time, me and another trainee snuck out... i can't say who... but i also taught my brother this trick when he was here. i'll teach it to you guys, if you want," eunha offered.

many of the trainees smiled. getting taught how to escape this place by the one person that knows everything about the camp? heck yeah, they'd do it any day. a few of them nodded.

"have you ever gotten caught?" haruto asked, curious.

"i haven't, but minhee did get caught on his first time going out. after that, it was a breeze. this only works for around thirty, fourty minutes, but it's enough to get some fresh air and run to the nearest convenience store to buy things. when i got you guys some ice cream, it was around a seven minute walk."

"so what's the secret?" the boys huddled around.

"have you guys found the back door of the building yet?"

the boys shook their heads.

"take the elevator to the bottom floor, and when i say bottom i mean basement, it should be either across from the elevator or right beside it," eunha started off. she looked around to see if anyone noticed them, but thankfully no one did.

"you guys could check after today or tomorrow, on your break day before the performance. the times you guys could go are thirty minutes before your practice sessions at ten in the morning, or right after your practices that go until 9:30 at night, you got that? that's when all of the producers and camera workers are cleaning up and setting up, they'll all be in the practice rooms by then."

"why are you telling us this?" keita joked. "shouldn't you be promoting practice?"

"you guys need some fresh air from time to time, and once you get caught up in practice you won't ever see the light of day again," eunha said, remembering her times at the camp a few years ago.

"thanks eunha," keita smiled. "i never thought you'd be the type to sneak out!"

the other boys nodded in agreement. "well, you thought wrong. if you guys ever need a fun game to play in the dorms, just hit me up," she winked, leaving the boys to practice.

in the end, sung hanbin got the center part of the stage, which raised his platform above the four stars stage.

"i'm so jealous."

"that's way too high up for me!"

"i wonder if we're ever going to get to be on stage," the trainees with zero stars asked. eunha overheard this and walked over to them.

"do you guys want a chance to step on the stage for a bit?" eunha asked them.

"sure!" the trainees said in unison. one by one, the trainees hopped on and off the stage, with the trainees above them clapping for them. eunha did feel sorry for them because many were ill during the reevaluation.

"tomorrow, you guys will shine greatly on the ground. think as if you're a firework! you guys will literally burn the other trainees up," she said, trying to cheer the trainees up.

a day later, it was time for the trainees to suit up and put on their makeup, because it was time to perform. sung hanbin was the first to finish up, mainly because he was nervous and wanted to practice before the big performance.

"are you ready hanbin?" eunha asked, walking up to him. he looked rather pale today, and the makeup didn't really help.

"yeah, i'm fine," he gulped. "actually, i'm not. this is the first time i'll actually be the one shining on stage, and not the one dancing in the background."

eunha laughed and patted his shoulder. "i get it. it's a burden, isn't it? when you're a back-up dancer, you can make mistakes here and there, but when the spotlight is on you, you suddenly freeze up, am i right?"

"pretty much. i just really, really want to prove myself worthy out there. i want them to think, 'sung hanbin was perfect for this role', and live up to their expectations as center," he sighed, looking at the ground.

"well i think you're gonna do great," eunha said, pulling him in for a hug. "all of my back-up dancers and my previous back-up dancers have gone on to do great things, and you'll be the next. it's like your good luck charm!"

he hugged her back, pulling her in closer. this time, her face was right in his chest. "thank you, eunha."

"ouuuu what's going on here?" yedam asked, pulling the curtain. the two pushed themselves away from each other as fast as they could, ready to come up with an excuse.

"i, uh, should get to the stage now," he stuttered, running away.

"yedam! what are you doing?" eunha exclaimed, noticing there were more trainees behind the curtain.

"ooooooo, hanbin has a crush on you eunha!" junhyeon laughed. the trainees laughed along with him, except for two in the corner of her eye.

keita and gunwook had serious looks on their faces.

_____________________

opening tik tok and twt is so scary but fun

i wish i was in korea rn bruh I WANT TO SEE THE YUEHUAZ IRL