Chapter 34

Everything was beginning to falter as Mai struggled to hold on. Yet a part of her wanted to just let go. Give up. There was nothing left. No hope. The teen found herself desperately wishing for it all to end. This pain was too much, and it wasn't only coming from the thing that pinned her to the ground unable to move. It was what gripped at her heart knowing that Naruto was on his own. Hinata had been injured because of her inability to take on Pein alone. So many innocents had died. Died. And her mind flashed to Kakashi. Mai still couldn't sense him. Which had been one of the reasons she had engaged with Pein instead of instantly rushing to search for the Jounin. She didn't want to believe that he was gone. But the Be Fong had to face reality.

Mai had lost Sasuke to Akatsuki. Akatsuki and Sasuke had taken Itachi from her. And Akatsuki had exterminated everything she had left in Konoha.

Her lids began to grow heavy struggling to focus and stay open when a foot suddenly appeared in her vision.

"Hinata!"

It was Neji, along with Tenten, Rock Lee, and Gai.

"I didn't think it would be this bad..." the Jounin muttered surveying the damage.

They had been on a quick mission outside the Village only to return and realize they had been attacked.

"Her wounds aren't fatal," Tenten voiced, "but they could be if we don't hurry!"

"I'll search for a healer!" Neji stated.

"There's a wounded frog over here too!" Rock Lee added.

It was the elder that had come to the Hokage building to deliver the news that Jiraiya was dead. Tenten then moved over to Mai checking her over.

"What was hit?" Gai asked.

"Her organs," the older teen answered. "There's a lot of internal bleeding, but I can't be sure how bad it is."

Still, the fact that the Be Fong had been brought to such a state unnerved the Jounin. If even she couldn't withstand Pein then what were they going to do to defeat the enemy?

"Just hold on, both you," Tenten begged.

It was Sakura who came rushing to their aid despite the danger of being out in the open. She saw to Hinata first.

"The spoke hit her lungs," the Medical Ninja said. "They have collapsed." Her eyes flickered towards the Phantom Ninja's figure. "How's Mai doing?"

"Still breathing," Tenten answered.

"Monitor it."

She would not allow her teammate to succumb to her injuries, but the Hyuuga was first priority.

"Why did she do it?" Neji asked aloud.

Though Sakura couldn't bring herself to give an answer. That Hinata was in love with Naruto. She should have realized this, seen it sooner, but before the Chuunin had always been too scared to voice her feelings. It should be Hinata to explain the reasoning.

"You should be relieved," Sakura said. "Mai protected her when Pein was going to kill her, and once again mid-battle, which is why Mai is pinned to the ground."

Neji was stunned that the Be Fong would sacrifice herself.

"The only reason this happened to Hinata was because she got distracted by Mai screaming..." And her body shuddered at the memory.

"Where is Naruto?" Gai asked.

"Naruto suppressed the demon fox himself," Katsuyu stated.