Chapter 12

The Be Fong watched Naruto run off down the street after they found the young man. He waved goodbye over a shoulder. Excited that in four days they would begin his training. That left Kakashi enough time to finish his recovery and resume his duties as team leader.

"What did you need me for, sensei?" Mai wondered.

"Walk with me," he said. "I assume you're hungry since you didn't eat much at lunch."

They ended up in a teashop, and sat at a booth with a view of the street. It wasn't too crowded, the atmosphere comfortable, but the ninja never expected Kakashi to choose a place like this.

"Have you ever been here before?"

"Honestly, I don't go out much to eat," she said. "I'm too busy. I guess it's not so bad though in appearance."

A waitress came by to take their order and served them minutes later. The whole time the two remained silent. The teen tried to figure out exactly why he brought her here. He didn't bother to touch the food on the table. As the elbows came to rest on the table, and his fingers laced together in thought.

"There's been something I've been meaning to speak with you about," the young man voiced.

She cocked a brow in interest.

"It happened a few years ago before everything spiraled out of control. There were two visitors who came to Konoha that were not welcomed."

The teen knew immediately what he was referring to and ever so slightly tensed in her seat.

"I know you were aware of their presence and who it was. Belva and I had a conversation about this about a year after your disappearance. It was very difficult to track her down."

"Sensei was traveling."

"Yes, I'm quite aware of that." There was a pregnant pause between them. "Do you know who it was?"

"Hmm..." she mused picking up the teacup. "It took me a while to figure it out... but that's because I was in denial."

He waited for her to continue.

"But somehow I always knew in the back of my mind... that it was only a matter of time before he returned."

"How was it you came to know that Itachi and Kisame infiltrated the Village?"

The teen stared into her steaming cup in thought.

"It wasn't long after Naruto left when I started demanding answers."

The table grew silent as the young man wondered what to say.

"You know I felt their chakra, right? Even after they left it clung to you when I came to visit... And... it was on him too when Gai came back."

This knowledge surprised the Jounin. "You can do that? Pick up on chakra even if the user has left?"

Mai nodded. "I knew it was familiar, at least one of the signatures... I just didn't realize it at the time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belva sat on the porch, watching her student meditated on the grass in front of the home. The woman could see just how concentrated she was, not even twitching when a butterfly flew past her face and landed on a knee. She had definitely become better at this over the years. And this had proven to improve her skills as well. Advancing beyond any other Be Fong she trained in the past.