My Alcoholic Friends

" if they find the body in the basement,
in the very house that she was raised in... "

———

"Piiip," Ravi called, his voice echoing through her house.

As he looked around, and then out the window to check for her parents car, he froze.

The door was unlocked, the house was empty, and his arms were, too.

She hadn't ran into his arms, peppering his dark skin with kisses.

She hadn't squeezed his elbow with a hidden hello, or tucked her head into the crook of his neck.

"Pip? Where are you?" He asked, a quaver to his voice as he bound up the stairs to her bedroom, skipping the third step - a habit he'd picked up from Pip.

"P - Pip?" Certainly she was okay - she had to be.

Only, when he opened the door, she wasn't there.

Her room was neat, curtains pulled tight - per Ravi's request, many months ago. Her bed was made, her headphones left on her desk, next to her computer.

"Shit," he whispered, hurrying downstairs and searching her whole house, coming back to where he started alone. "Shit!" He repeated, as he realized the one place he'd missed.

The basement.

Hesitantly, he opened the door and bound down the stairs, flicking the light on.

His eyes locked onto her quickly, finding her feet first.

Still wearing her running sneakers. Still wearing the jeans she has left the house in. Still wearing the grey hoodie she'd put on after her run.

Only now, she wasn't wearing her face.

Her face was wrapped with duct tape, leaving only one small sliver to breathe out of at her nostrils.

And then, his eyes locked onto the blue rope, still tied tightly around her neck.

"Pip!" He shouted, the scene fully processing in his brain. "No, no, this can't be happening," he cried, running to her but not touching her. "Not you too," he sobbed. "Please, not you too!"

How fucking cruel did a man have to be to murder a girl, and leave her body in the basement of the house she was raised in?

Only a monster would do that.

But that's what DT was, anyway.

Pip's body was limp, and there was nothing there to tell Ravi that she was still there.

Nothing but the quietest, choked gargle, coming from deep inside her throat.

"Oh, god," he said when he heard it, knowing he couldn't let her go just yet.

He was here, he would stay here until the very end.

He hurried to pull her limp body towards his chest and search her head for the start to the tape, finding it at her temple. "I'm sorry, Sarge; this is going to hurt." He told her, hurrying to take the tape off, pulling slower at her eyes and her lips.

When her mask was discarded, he winced at the prickles of her blood; gently pulling the blue rope from her neck.

He hurried to press his mouth to hers, pinching her nose, his hands pressing against her chest, arms straight.

Pressing into her chest thirty times, and two breaths.

Again, and again, and again, until a thin breath funneled through her nose.