XXXII. except true love

anupamaa :

"What?!", I asked, shocked.

Rittika looked regretfully,
"My ex husband.. Amit-"

"Amit?", That was my Boss' name, and although it was a common name I knew he too had divorced recently.

"Yes. Your boss, I presume. That Academy was his father's and now belongs to him.", She said.

Vanraj ji looked at both of us perplexed.

"One minute.. Amit is your ex husband?", He asked.
"Yes.", Rittika replied, she looked at me,
"He does know your connection with Vanraj, by the way, so if you can stay away from him."

"I am anyways not too close to him. Just that he appreciates me a lot. Recently he asked me to fix a date from my schedule for his dance proposal at the Dance Conference in New York.", I said.
She just nodded.

But Vanraj Shah, looked like he had heard the best news in his life.

"One minute. So the date proposal is that whatever Conference you said?!", He asked, all excited.
"Umm.. yes..", I replied awkwardly.

"Vanraj, I genuinely want to help you.", Rittika said as he snapped back to making an annoyed face.
"But I don't want any.", He said casually.

"Why don't you understand!", She stood up, "You are going to be under trouble! Your job.. your family—"

She couldn't complete.
He took a step and caught hold of her wrist.

The next thing I knew was Mister Shah pulling Rittika by her wrist and unlocking the door.

Even before I could keep my opinion, she opened the door and pushed her out and shut it back, on her face.

"Rittika, you can go to hell, I don't care. Bye.", He stated coldly as he firmly locked the door.

I drew in a sharp breath.

How very inhuman!
Someone was in trouble and here this man is not even trying to help!
Plus she might have more information about those people who had traced him!

"Vanraj please!", I could hear a wailing Rittika from outside but he couldn't care less.

I walked down to him, absolutely annoyed.

"She—"
"I don't want trouble.", He stated coldly.
"Really?! She needed help—"
"What if it's a trap Anu?! We can't be good people to people who weren't good to us! At least I can't!", He looked scared, more than angry.

Obviously, whether scared or sad, he'd vent it out as anger.

I drew in a deep breath.

"She was just trying to help you! But you are so caught up in blaming and being stone hearted! Earlier it was me, now it is her! I just don't understand why you men can't behave like normal human beings! Today you shouted on me as well—"

He abruptly leaned and placed his lips on mine.

Before I could revolt, he had already pulled me into a deep kiss.
For moments I resisted, but then I gave up.

I shut my eyes, savouring him.

Damn. The man was hell romantic when he wanted to be.

After moments of pleasure, we parted.

Rittika had left.
There was silence.

"Thank you.", He whispered.
I felt tears tinge my eyes, probably an after effect of all his screaming and all my fear.

"What is this? A compensation of all your misbehaviour?", I asked, my voice trembled.

He cupped my face.
I noticed his eyes fill with moisture.

"I saw Amit's message.. Misunderstood it.. and-"
"And you thought I was dating him?", My voice sounded almost accusatory.

After years of loyalty despite being so far apart, he doubted me.

He looked down.
"I am so sorry."
"You don't trust me..", Our voices toned down to pained whispers.

He looked up.

"I trust you more than my own self.."

"Then how could you even imagine?", I asked, a tear slid down my eye.

"I am afraid.. I have hurt you so much.. the woman I didn't even hurt once left me for the sake of it.. I hurt you so much, you can easily leave. And find someone better..", He said.

The more I knew him, the more I understood his unpredictable behaviour.

I drew in a deep breath.

I held his hand, still cupping my face.

"If I had to leave, I would have. I am here, with you, because I don't want to. I never wanted to.", I said softly.

"I love you, Anu.", He whispered.
I shut my eyes, wishing this wasn't a day dream.

"And it's not because of our kids.. It's because I have fallen in love with you."

His voice trembled with emotion.

I finally broke down as I wrapped my arms around him tightly, giving him the tightest hug possible.

He too wrapped his hands around my body, softly caressing my back.
I could hear his heart beat.
That was my favourite sound.

"Nothing could hurt me this way..", I mumbled, sobbing.
The tears were due to an overwhelm of emotions.

"Except true love..", he added.
I knew he smiled.
And I knew he smiled truly after years.
And so did I.

Aapki nazron ne samjha
Pyaar ke kaabil humein
Dil ki e dhadkan theher ja
Mil gayi manzil tujhe

•••

Drop in your views! 🧡