Chapter 6

Fionna's P.O.V

My leg is killing me. It's so fluffin' painful! And while I'm sitting here miserable, the only person who could cheer me up was Marshall Lee. He gave me this beautiful rare red pendant on a chain, and I swear, he must have gone through some trouble to get it.

Right now, Marshall is putting the necklace on me like I asked, his breath tickling the back of my neck. Something feels very different about him lately. I feel like there's something he's not telling me.

"Marshall...are you...okay?" I feel hesitant to ask, but my curiosity gets the better of me. Damn my curious mind.

"Yeah Fi," he says with a smile. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. Just making sure." I smile back at him lightly. For the first time, I realize that his hand is not holding mine, and I miss it. Wait...Why would I care if he's holding my hand or not? It's not like I like him like that..ya know?

Like he could sense what I was thinking, he takes my hand in his once more and looks into my eyes. I blush, and try to look away, but his stare is so intent that I find my eyes glued to his.

"Fionna, I need to tell you something important. Promise me you won't freak out or tell anyone else?" Marshall pleads.

"Of course not. That's what friends are for, right?" There's that word. "Friends." Seems so...lonely. Weird, but if you think about it, do you ever have anyone that completely understands you? But back to the thing Marshall's saying.

"The reason you're hurt... Well, it's all my fault. I was being me, evil, and I sorta put all those princes in the Ice Queen's Castle. I'm so sorry, Fi. I never meant for any of this to happen."

You...put them there? But...why?" I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"I..uhhh... I wanted to see you. Not ordinary Fionna. But adventuress Fionna. I wanted to see you in action. Wanted to see what you would do, how you think. The thing is...you fascinate me, Fionna."

"I..fascinate...you?" Now I'm confused. Did Marshall say he likes me? Like, like like me?

"Yeah. You're my bestfriend, I just want to get to know you better," he shrugs. Oh, friends. For some reason I feel myself deflate, as if I had been waiting for something bigger to happen.

"That makes sense, I guess. Well, I'll live at least. I forgive you."

"Thanks so much, Fionna. You really are the best!" Marshall quickly kisses the top of my forehead, just a little peck, and then floats out faster than you could say cow pies.

What the stuff was that all about???

---------------------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter, I promise to make the next one twice as long!