jess valero

For the applyfic Pick a Card, Any Card by idkhereisaname

BIRTH NAME: Jessamine Leonor Valero

NICKNAMES: Jess, Mina, Jessa, JV, Val

PREFERRED NAME: Jess

GENDER: Female, cis

PRONOUNS: She/her

BIRTHDAY: 12/18/1997

AGE: 25

FACECLAIM: Christian Serratos

HEIGHT: 5'5

SEXUALITY: Bisexual

DRESS STYLE: Casual but nice. As this is a camp setting, she goes for decent shorts or slightly worn jeans, t-shirts (usually logo ones), and tank tops, but nothing too fancy. As for shoes, either hiking boots or walking sandals.

BACKGROUND: Jessamine Leonor Valero is the third of three children, born to an English teacher mother and an accountant. Jess was a surprise baby, born seven years after her elder sister Penelope. The Velero family was a loving environment, both parents caring deeply for their children. By the time Jess was eleven, she was the only child remaining in the house. Penelope had just graduated high school, and her brother Arthur was finishing up college. So it was just Jess and her parents. Around the same time, her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, which led to many hospital appointments and lots of worry for the family—she did go into remission when Jess was fifteen, and she's been so ever since. Jess was fourteen when she was moved up to calculous when everyone else her age was in algebra. Jess is no genius, but she's good at math, much better than most people. The numbers make sense to her, the way they dance through equations and problems. Jess began taking college-level math classes in her junior year of high school, and when she graduated, she chose a school with a high-quality mathematics program. However, halfway through her freshman year, she changed her major to include education. After college, Jess scored a teaching job and move out of her parents' house, and has been coasting since then, struggling to be a real adult. She has taken up camp counseling recently, as a way to keep busy during the summer and earn some extra money.

PERSONALITY: Jess is one of the easiest people in the world to become friends with. She's open and bright, almost always up for a conversation or meeting someone new. Jess is quick to laugh and quick to smile. For the most part, Jess is very easy to get along with. However, this does not extend to the students she teaches. Jess is very strict in her classroom, which can extend to the kids at camp, not tolerating a toe out of line. She teaches middle schoolers, and though she's still pretty new, she's found ways to get them to behave. Despite her strictness, Jess is typically well-liked by her students for her competence with her subject and willingness to explain in ways they can understand. It can come as a surprise to some that Jess is a very relaxed person. She isn't the worrying type unless something dangerous is afoot, and when she does worry, she keeps it to herself. Jess can be described as chill, and she lives up to it. Jess believes in what she knows to be true, not abstracts and what-ifs. It's what keeps her calm, keeps her sane. However, though she's typically very relaxed, Jess does have an awful temper when crossed. Her temper can be described as short, which is surprising to most. Jess tries to keep a handle on it, though, but she doesn't always succeed. She never lets this show around her students, however. She can't afford to loose her job.

TRIVIA: Jess honestly really likes teaching, and finds the kids more enjoyable than irritating. Because of this, kids tend to at the very least respect her more, because kids can tell if a teacher actively hates children. She really likes plaid patterns. Her favorite color is blue, specifically sky blue. She prefers to read non-fiction, and has curated a list of ones appropriate for kids and younger teens to share with her students. Jess doesn't drink soda. Her older sister Penelope is married and has a three-year-old daughter, Ana, that Jess loves to spoil.

QUOTES: "The numbers don't add up... How can you be spending that much on coffee?" "What on earth is happening right now?!" "Please—help me."

PLAYLIST: Dying to Believe by Sleeping With Sirens,  Castle in the Sky by Our Last Night, Dancing Queen by ABBA.

EXTRA:  She's terrified of getting cancer herself, or her mom's cancer coming back. She doesn't have fond memories of hospitals.

 She doesn't have fond memories of hospitals

applyfic status: ongoing!