Spawn of two Demons

Well here we are. This chapter is definitely a game changer.

JOE'S POV

We sat our bags down and watched as Brenda approached the lady at the front desk.

"Hello. Are you here for a visit?"

"Hi. Yes I'm here to visit my dad it's been years since I've seen him."

"Sure just give me his name."

"Joseph."

"Joseph..."The woman dragged in expecting Brenda to say his last name.

"Well that's the thing I don't really know his last name." The woman squinted with suspicion. I'm pretty sure Brenda isn't quick on her feet so I decided to help her.

"Look my wife has not seen her father since she was three. Her mom and him they.." I looked at Brenda's thankful expression giving her a wink before continuing. "They split up and the last she heard he was in here."

"Well.. we do have only one Joseph here. He never gets visitors. I think you're the only person to see him...ever." I winced at that part. It must be so sad to have no one come see you and have nothing to do except for stare at walls and watch paint dry. Well at least what I think they do.

"Follow me."

"Ma'am..my friends." Brenda said turning towards Ryan and Laya. The lady looked at them Curtis nodded at the woman acknowledging her while Ryan waved and Laya smiled.

God this was already going down hill.

"Only family."

"I am family and I want my friends to be with me on this journey...please?"

The woman huffed, "Fine come this way." She led us past two doors. We walked past rooms with small windows and screaming people.

"Okay I'm going to let you into the visitors room just press the button when your ready to leave. Alright?" Sounds of yes and yup came from us while she let us in.

We sat down at a grayish table the first thing I noticed was his cold the seats were. Come to think about it this whole place is cold. It goes perfectly with the lonlieness theme this place has going on.

I looked around while we waited for Joseph and probably shouldn't have.

My eyes landed on a man painting. I couldn't see his face but his arms where so frail and wrinkled. He had freckles running down his arm and the hand that held the paint brush was shaking.

"Frank dinner time." A nurse called to the man who was previously painting.

When he turned around my heart stopped. He couldn't have been much older than me. He could be in his mid twenties. His face was young but his body was of an old mans. He looked soulless and tired. Is this where I almost ended up after I left the Navy? After I lost David? If it wasn't for Ryan this is where I'd be. I got to remember to thank him later.

"I think this is him." Brenda elbowed me slightly catching my attention. I watched as an middle aged man walked up to us and stopped in front of his chair. He gave all of us a once over and sat down.

"Hi Joseph. I'm Laya you might remember me." When he didn't respond she added. "Or not." And rolled her lips into her mouth.

"I remember you. You used to play with Karen." He said.

"Yeah. Thats kind of what we wanted to talk to you about." Ryan spoke up.

"The media and press said she was dead." Brenda stopped.