chapter 1

***

***

Seeing him talk to her constantly made me feel as if I meant nothing to him.

Trying to get his attention by styling my hair into various hairstyles, changing my posture and perceiving myself as confident and a socialite but nothing. He still didn't notice me.

What did she have that I didn't? Was it because she was regarded as the most beautiful girl in our grade? Was it because she was much more athletic than me? Was it because she wasn't much of a nerd like me?

So many questions flooded my mind, I found myself becoming engraved with hatred towards her. I despised her to the core of my being.

I didn't realize how long I stared at them until saw a pair of us stared back at my direction. I analyzed the eyes and realized it was he was staring at me.

I quickly turned around and ran towards the basketball court. I ran to where my friends were seated and I threw my bag on top of the pile of bags that were there.

"It's about time you arrived, we were waiting for you." Kris said while she filed her nails.

"Well I'm sorry, I was caught up with something." I retorted. I made my way towards a group of girls whom of which I was good friends with.

"Jae Jae! I didn't know you were going to attend basketball practice today." Bora teased.

I haven't attended practice for a while since I was injured whilst on a  vacation at Daegu. I kept telling my teammates that I was going to return soon. Emphasis on the word soon.

After a decade I finally joined practice again, my coach was delighted that I finally returned since I was the star player of the team. Mainly because I was the tallest amongst my teammates and I had the ability to score easily.

We did our usual warm up exercises, although my ankle was not completely 100% but I managed to push through the pain.

After the warm up exercises we began the training session, we practiced our skills and our ability to score with assists.

I played the role of the assistant from time to time until the couch swapped roles and made me to score.

As I scored I landed on a bad footing. I didn't make it known. I just sucked in the pain and continued like nothing happened. If I spoke up my coach wouldn't have put me on the team for the upcoming matches.

I paced around the basketball court and saw a group of guys who were seated by the stands who watched us practice. I recognized one of the faces.

I merely felt uncomfortable throughout the training session, I was hardly involved because I didn't want to mess up and create an embarrassment of myself.

After a while practice was over. I slowly made my way towards the pile of bags. I searched for my bag until I found it. As I made my way out of the basketball court I heard a provocative whistle.

I didn't immediately turn around but I looked around pretending as if I was looking for someone I urgently needed to see.

I saw the group of guys talking to my friends and it seemed like they all were flirting back and forth. My gaze fell on my mystery person, he was staring right at me. I immediately turned around and sped walked but I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I sighed and began to limp.

I really needed to go home...

~~~

I was walking back home by myself as usual, I turned around to see if anyone followed me and luckily no one did.

On the way home I kept thinking about whether if I should attend school the following day because of my ankle.

I wanted to attend school but my health mattered, however if I woke up the next morning and my ankle became worse then I wouldn't attend school at all.

It took a while for me to reach home since I was limping throughout the walk home.

Alas I finally reached home. I limped as I walked upstairs to my bedroom. I entered my bedroom and closed the door behind me. I dropped my back down close to the door and limped towards the bed.

I sat down and took a deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth.

At least I didn't have any chores to do, only that I could do was finish up with my homework and study for my biology test which took place the in two days time.

How I longed for a new day to arrive.

~~~