Short Story Teaser: Of Blood and Magic

I awoke early on December 23rd with a painful headache. It was still dark out. As I got up, I saw a bluish-purple glow from outside the window. I knew that color. It could mean only one thing.

I quickly got dressed in some warmer clothes and rushed out, being careful not to wake any of the others in the Athena cabin. As I walked out, I saw what I had expected to. Hecate. My mother.

I ran up to her and tightly hugged her. I hadn't seen her since we met in the gardens on Olympus. She smiled down at me.

"I missed you too, (Y/N). Your training has been going well, it seems like every day your spells become more and more powerful. That is good. You will need them with what is coming."

I gulped. I had hoped that this would be nothing more than a mother-son reunion, but given the timing and the general fact that the gods rarely came by to just say hello, there was never much chance of that being the case. I sighed and laughed lightly. "And what, exactly, would that be?"

My mother's smile faded. "I assume you have guessed that you are not my only child, correct?

I hadn't actually thought much of that. I guess I assumed that if Hecate had any other children, they would be here at camp, which, to my knowledge at least, they were not. "Well I suppose that would make sense, yes."

She nodded. "You would be correct. Unfortunately, not all of them are as well intentioned as you are. Your old friend Luke has begun recruiting, and one of my children has joined with him. His name is Johnathan Einvor, and he hides under our very nose, somewhere in New York City."

I frowned. "So what, you want me to go and get him, bring him back here and prevent him from joining with Kronos?"

"Ideally, yes, but more importantly, I need you to stop him. As we speak, he is preparing a spell that would drastically hasten Kronos' return. He has managed to acquire a certain artifact of mine, something I believed to be long lost, and something that will allow him to directly manipulate the very fabric of reality. If he is allowed to go through with his plan, any hope we have of averting all out war will be gone."

"If you do not mind me asking, what exactly is this artifact? I'd prefer to know what I'm looking for, is all."

My mother smiled. "Of course. It is a thin rod imbued with some of my most ancient, powerful magic. With it, like I said, he would be able to manipulate the very fabric of reality, but only once. He could perform basically any spell that is possible to perform, and he plans to use it to help gather the scattered remains of Kronos' spirit from Tartarus." I opened my mouth to speak, but she held her hand up, gesturing for me to stop. "I do not have much time remaining, (Y/N), so no more questions please. It is my belief that he intends to perform this spell at midnight on the day mortals call Christmas. They celebrate it on the 25th for a reason, though they do not know it. It is a day of great magical power, when the fabric of reality is at its most flexible. When the sun rises, you are to tell Chiron that I said that you are to visit the Oracle, and get a prophecy. If he questions you at all, hand him this."

She opened her hand to reveal a small metal token with her symbol, the crossed torches. They were glowing with magical energy.

"Of course, mother. Thank you for trusting me with this. I will not fail you."

She smiled. "I know, (Y/N). I know. Now, I must be going. Go get some rest, I will be sure to wake you on time. I love you, (Y/N). Never forget that."

With that, she faded. No grand flash this time, I suppose. I sighed and returned to my bed. I had a long few days ahead of me.

NOTE: This is a very rough draft of part of the first chapter. It's mostly dialogue at the moment, but I wanted to give y'all an idea of what to expect. Also I just think the premise is neat and wanted to share it!