We Undergo an Unlicensed Medical Procedure

We sat there for a second in shock before realizing we ought to get moving. Annabeth quickly hailed a cab.

"Where you kids going?"

Percy spoke first. "Los Angeles. Santa Monica Pier."

The driver gave us a look. "You got enough money for that? That's a long drive."

I sighed, thinking we were out of luck, but Annabeth handed him her Lotus card. "You take casino cards?"

"Some. Depends on the card." He ran it, and his eyes bulged as a green infinity symbol popped up on his screen. "Uhhhhh... looks good, your highness!"

Annabeth smiled a bit at that. I think she liked being called that.

I jumped in. "If you get us there fast you can keep the change."

I don't think we dropped below 90 miles per hour until we hit LA. As I watched the lights of Vegas fade behind us, I leaned against the window, deep in thought.

Thank you mom. I'm not sure how, but I feel like you helped shake me out of my daze back in the casino.

Andromeda looked over to me, looking as if she wanted to say something.

"What is it 'Meda?"

"Th... thank you (Y/N). For waking me up back there."

I blushed, and hoped she didn't notice. "No problem 'Meda. Sorry about how I did it, just kind of panicked and went with my first thought. I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable or anything."

She looked like she was considering saying something, but just smiled instead. I turned back to the window. We had one day, maybe 30 hours at most, to go down into the literal underworld, somehow steal the most powerful weapon in existence from the lord of the dead, and get it back to New York. If we failed, the world as we knew it would be destroyed.

Suddenly, I felt the same dizzy feeling I had back in the tunnel. I heard a low, evil sounding laugh.

You see you are doomed, do you not? Or is your foolish mind too thick to realize?

You again. I had hoped you'd given up.

The voice laughed again.

Your friends will die no matter what you do. Why die with them? Join with me, boy. You can live, and rule by my side. I may even spare those you care for.

The voice could tell I was a bit pessimistic about our chances. It was trying to use that to convince me. It almost did, for a second I thought it had a point. Then, though, I looked over at my friends. Andromeda. Annabeth. Percy. Grover. I couldn't just leave them because I was scared. I thought back to what my mother had said when we met back at camp. It seemed so long ago already.

"Be brave. You are capable of more than you think."

I told you already. I am not going to abandon them. If they die, I die with them.

I tried to sound stoic and unfazed here, but my voice wavered a bit. As committed as I was to them, I still feared death.

Hmph. So be it then. A word of warning though, dear boy. Not all is what it seems. If you knew the truth, you would be much more agreeable.

Oh, I think I know more than enough.

With one more low laugh, the voice faded, and my head went back to normal. I thought about telling Andromeda, but I turned and saw her smiling and talking to Annabeth, and knew I couldn't put this on her right now. Better to let her be happy for a moment, I could tell her later.