Chapter XXII - DECISIONS ON COURT

The two of you entered the elevator, silence filling the air in the area, noise whirring as you went down.

The memories of running away from Zack flooded back as you stepped out, seeing the same hallway; dark, damp, steeled, and bloodied.

It was almost as if it was welcoming you back, except there was no crazed beauty waiting to kill you at the opportune moment.

How many years did Zack spend down here..? This is in such poor condition..

You walked around, a peaceful feeling washing over you, knowing there was no one to kill you here.

"Remember where I killed the bird and broke the wooden planks? Go there. My room's there."

His room?

You sighed, going to the same area. This was more or less a miniature maze, but considering the other floors, this was rather simple.

You saw the pool of blood in front, your eyes gaining a dark shadow. Your fist clenched at the sight of the dead bird.

You looked in front, seeing the pathway ahead. Is that it?

You entered, finding a room. There was a sink, piles of bandages in cabinets, a trash can, and a few belongings, including a notebook and pencil.

I thought Zack couldn't read or write..?

You opened it out of curiosity, seeing some messy letters. You took the notebook and pencil with you. Maybe you could teach him once outside this basement building so he could have it easier in the outside world.

You looked at the cabinet, opening it more, and finding bandages galore. Huh.

You took as many as you could, placing them inside your bag. This may be useful. You then remembered why you were originally here. The knife. Zack's knife.

You looked around, searching for any signs of where he could've left one. Soon enough after searching through the room, you found it. It's still quite sharp..

You took it in hand and put it in your pocket. Hopefully he wouldn't mind you using it for self defense if any harm came your way.

You then exited the dirty room, sighing as you ignored the carcass beside you. You reached Gray, who closed his book as soon as you returned.

"We can go back now," you said firmly. "You've found what you need?" Gray asked. "Not all, but most, yes," you said. "Very well then, let us return back to my floor."

You nodded, a nervous feeling instilling inside you. What if he tried to kill you? He was a floor's master after all; there's no guarantee he wouldn't kill you right here while you were vulnerable and unprepared.

"I'm not going to hurt you, child. Relax," Gray said, noticing your focused expression. "I haven't finished determining just what kind of person you are. I'll answer all there is to know once we return."

"I guess that helps...but still," you murmured. "I understand. Just breathe, Y/N. Relax," he said. You sighed, deciding to—temporarily—trust him.

You couldn't discard the possibility entirely, though. You'd just have to wait and see. I hope Zack's okay..

A pink mist started to envelop you, and you turned to Gray, who stared at you with a blank gaze as usual. "I see," he whispered, his book's pages flurrying by.

You saw the numbers on the elevator changing rapidly. What the hell is this!?

"We're here, close your eyes," Gray said, as you blacked out. Numbness filled you, the darkness enveloping you.

. . .So much for trusting you, priest.

A few moments later, you opened your eyes. Your clothes remained the same, but your bag was gone, and you seemed to be in a...court.

What the hell...?

"What is this...?" you asked, trying to pull away, but you looked at your hands, which were handcuffed, chained to the pedestal before you.

....Oh fuck.

"Y/N," Gray's voice sounded through the room, as you snapped your head towards him, who stood far from you, a pedestal in front of him.

"You told me you wouldn't hurt me, Gray. What the hell is this bullshit, then!?" you yelled angrily.
"Manners. We're in my court, naturally. I have determined your nature as a deathbringer."

Shit.