Chapter XVI - ONCE A KILLER

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

"God, I feel so great I could just kill myself!" Zack screamed in euphoria, as he sliced himself in the stomach with his scythe. Your eyes widened, all of it running slow. Zack collapsed right before your eyes, his blood flurring through the air as he fell. You couldn't get any words out. Just what was he thinking?! Sacrificing himself to not kill you?! You started to choke, forbidding yourself to shed a tear at the sight. Meanwhile, the blonde woman in front came running down the stairs in disbelief, muttering curses at the scene.

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Cathy was pissed. You could see it in her eyes. She came running down. "Impossible!" she said. "Why like this?!"

Her attitude changed as she saw him breathing, however. "...Oh!? You're still alive!" she yelled, euphoria running through her.

But boy were you angry with Cathy. This was all her fault. She drove him crazy with the injection. You were sick of her.

"Back the fuck away," you growled, raising your gun.
Unaware it wasn't her gun, she laughed. "I thought you knew it was unloaded, girl! What could you possibly do to hurt me? I am impressed you have the guts to aim that at me, though."

"You're a fool," you said, glaring heavily at the blonde, as you pulled the trigger, Cathy's eyes widened as the metallic projectile hit her, blood spilling.

She forced a smile as she stood back up. "You're the only fool here, sweetheart. You're a fool in love, and now I can truly call you a criminal!" she said.

Your eyes widened, realizing what you'd done. You'd shot Cathy, with full intentions of killing her.

For some reason, the chill it brought was...oddly familiar. Almost like you missed this feeling. The feeling of responsibility of having taken a life.

What is this feeling...?

"You were once a killer too, right? " Cathy said, a smirk tugging at her smooth, blood-stained lips. You froze, lips parting, almost as if a memory started to ring at the back of your head. Voices called at the back of your mind, almost as if screaming at you.

"Y/N L/N! What're you doing?!"
Stop.
"Stop, please! I don't want to die!"
Stop it. It hurts.
"Y/N? What about your orders?"
Enough.
"Kill them."
No.
"You are hereby ba—"
Stop it!

You only heard the pounding rhythm of your heartbeat, as it fastened, your breaths becoming quick and ragged. "No. I wasn't a killer," you said. You refused to believe the voices that called to you.

No. I wasn't. Right? I can't. I couldn't have been.

"I was lost," you said. "I'm not the only person you've tried to kill, am I?" Cathy said, trying to bring back the voices she presumed rang in your head. 

Stop it, Cathy. It hurts.

You gritted your teeth, knowing far too well she was right. You couldn't deny these allegations.

"Shut your mouth," you spat.
"You're no different than Zack, dear," Cathy said. You turned your head quickly, hearing Zack standing up, coughing up blood. "Oh, Zack! You're finally standing u—"

"Shut your ass up, you damn sadomasochistic..woman," Zack said, coughing, his scythe having cut through the woman, as her body fell limp.

Another death..

Your head started to spin, thoughts blurring in your head, memories replaying like an orchestrated play. Damn it..not now! Focus. Get Zack to the next floor. You're almost there..

You trudged slowly, doing your best to reach Zack with the burning, twisted pain in your head. "Hey," you muttered, looking at the bloodied killer. "Sup," was all he responded.

"You're alive..I'm glad. How're your wounds..?" you asked. "My gut's friggin killing me," Zack mumbled. "Try not to use much of your strength, then," you replied.

"I'll carry your scythe, you walk over with me, I found the elevator," you said. "Kay," Zack murmured, staggering.

Good, no arguing.

The two of you eventually reached the elevator, Zack sitting down once he reached it. "Thank god that's done," he said, letting out a heavy sigh.

You held no response, too tired to talk. "Hey. You did great. It was great, especially when you shot that crazy bitch. You went all 'bang bang'. I saw it. Your expression was murderous. Good for you," Zack said, his eyes with a gleam of joy.

"You're...quite happy," you said tiredly.
"Yeah. Aren't you too?" Zack said, giving you a smile. You mirrored it too, as you let out a heavy sigh.

That smile fits him. It's beautiful...just like him.

"I'm...a bit tired," Zack said. "If you don't mind, I'll go rest," he murmured, falling down. You snapped your head towards him quickly.

"Zack!" you said exasperated, seeing the male bleeding out. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit!

You tried to apply pressure while you waited for the elevator to rise. You couldn't care about the burning pain in your head anymore. If Zack died, you didn't know what you'd do.

This won't be good..!

You were worried about Zack dying on the next floor. No, no, no!

"Please Zack, hold on. I'm begging you, don't die just yet."

I can't lose you just yet.