Chapter XIV - FOOL'S POISON

"Shut your mouth, you condescending piece of shit."

That was all you said, as you looked at the cracked screen, a small piece of iron having run right through it. You sighed, and walked out of the room.

You were found with Zack at another side of the room. It was another room divided in half, with each side holding a syringe with a liquid inside.

One was a yellow with tainted red. The other was green with tainted blue. Zack was just busy kicking the door. He almost seemed to be seething with anger and frustration.

He suddenly let out an exasperated sigh, looking at you. "About time you finally got your ass here, Y/N," he said.

"I take it you've seen the syringes placed here?" you asked, disinterested. "Yeah," he replied. You were soon interrupted as you heard an elevator ring.

Huh?

You widened your eyes, the person you'd wanted to decimate come onto stage before you. "Hi hi! I'm glad we can finally meet!" Cathy said.

"God, your voice is even more annoying in person!" Zack said, holding his scythe. "Thank you!" Cathy replied.

Woman, that wasn't a compliment-

"Get your ass down here," you said, glaring at the blonde. "No thank you, I think I'll stay up here where it's nice and clean," she said. "Coward," you muttered.

Zack noted your glare, but was a bit confused as to why you were pissed off. He didn't really care though, he was more focused as to why Cathy was here.

"I think it's about time I introduce myself completely," Cathy said. "I am Catherine Ward, the judge on this floor, B3. You two, Y/N L/N, and Zack, are sinners, and my ideal criminals! It's great to finally meet in person!"

She's sickening.

"For the last fucking time, I'm not a criminal!" you yelled. "Say what you will, sweetheart, but you're just as tainted as your beloved Zack is," Cathy said.

Zack looked at you, narrowing his eyes. Was there something about you that you hadn't told him?

"Anyways, I should be getting back to my usual place, so, allow me to explain what's going on here. I've placed two syringes, as you can see. One of them has vitamins that can enforce the strength, agility and physical prowess, while the other contains a very dangerous substance. Choose carefully!" Cathy explained.

"Now then, I'll be taking my leave! Good luck, you two!" Cathy said with a smile on her face as she left.

"That face of her makes me sick," you said. You walked towards Zack, and he did the same, nearing toward you.

"So. What do you plan to do, smartass?" Zack said. "I'll take your syringe," you said without hesitation.

"Huh!? It's not like you can tell which is the dangerous one!" Zack said. "I know. I won't take all of it, to ensure it. I'm not as weak as I may seem. I'll take a small fraction of the liquid in your syringe, and the rest I'll leave it to you, if you wish," you said.

"If you don't want to take it though, I'll take both," you finalized. "No. Let's go with it. You're smarter than me, you're probably right. Here. Don't take all of it," Zack warned.

"I won't, I'm not planning to kill myself," you said. You took the yellow-filled syringe which had by now turned orange, and injected a small fraction of it. Fearing to inject too much, you stopped not long after.

"Here," you said, holding your arm, as you gave back the syringe. Zack nodded, as he took both.

"I'm not going to die from this. So quit worrying, N/N, I'll be fine," Zack said, after throwing away both of the syringes, the door opening.

I hope so, Zack. I really do.

"Yeah, I know," you said. Zack smirked at you. "Yeah. I'll be fine," he said.

That was bullshit. You were but a fool back then. And you knew that damn too well.