Chapter 21: Maddening Max

"Max's POV

"OKAY!" Angelik cried out so loud that whatever I wanted to say to Jun stalled. My eyes and attention darted fully to my angry wife. "EVERYONE, PARTY IS OVER!" she thundered with her eyes a floe of ice.

Her usually soft, feminine voice clipped. Almost a shriek, but not close and icy. Her cheeks tinged crimson, and I balked.

She's a ticking bomb. Any second, it will explode.

"Jun, I may need to call you again," and I ended the call before Devito could say anything.

"Is everything okay, Angel?" her mom hurriedly dashed to her, and her brother stood up, offering his seat to their mom. She sank onto the couch beside her and fretted on her.

Angel barely glanced at her mom, her face a masked fury.

"What happened? And why are you so angry?" she asked. Angel's face softened a bit.

"Mom, I just need to talk to my husband privately. It was so nice to have all of you here, but I need some time with my husband. Come back tomorrow," she quickly explained.

Angel's voice is between soft and harsh.

She bit out some words like husband, and I winced each time.

"Ohh..." her face deflated, yet she smiled at her. While brushing her locks that were teasing her cheeks and tucking them behind her ear tenderly,

her mom spoke softly. "Whatever made you angry with your husband, talk with civility. Don't let your anger destroy your burgeoning relationship. Please be patient," Mommy Lauren advised, and Angel merely nodded. She was so quiet. However, a quiet Angelik is deadly.

"You'll be coming with us, Sasha!" Mom implored my sister. The look my mom shot her caused my sister to swallow her protest.

"We can all go to my hotel, and then we can resume this party," Daddy Zandros suggested, and soon, after hugs and kisses here and there, they all left.

"Enlighten me, my dear husband... why are you deciding for me?" she bit out, cutting the short silence.

I stared at her, head still spinning about what the hell was she talking about.

Angel huffed furiously, spearing me with deadly glares.

"You know I love my job! I'm gonna go insane if you plan to hide me here in this damn house!" she groused. Her voice was close to cracking at the intensity of her frustrations and anger.

I ran my hand through my hair and stared at her incredulously.

"I'm not letting you go back to work after what happened. It wasn't an accident," I explained, holding back the frustrations bubbling in my system.

I know Angelik didn't like to be dominated and restrained.

She is a very independent woman. However, our situation is not a joke. Someone out there is determined to hurt her. Now that they know she's my wife, they will not stop until she's dead.

And thinking about it made my insides shudder. Fear and terror gripped me.

"My god, Max! It was just an accident!" she insisted, her voice climbing to an octave.

"Maybe? But I'm not risking it!" I retorted grimly. "I don't believe it was merely an accident. I've done what you want! The world knows that you are my wife now. Surely, that goddamn person will not stop until they hurt you badly, if not dead!" I spat gruffly.

Angel shot me a deadly glare. "I will work once this fucking useless ankle healed!" she spat, pointing at her ankle propped atop piled cushions.

I drew in a long, harsh breath, trying to ease that knot in my veins.