Chapter 14: Open up

"Find Your Peace And Live In It." – Yohancé Salimu

Angel's POV

I stared at him for what felt like forever, eyes narrowed. If only look could slice him in half. My teeth clamped tightly with my hands balled into fists as anger shrouded my whole being. I've never felt so angry in my life. I feel like my chest is going to burst. I was like a volcano waiting to erupt.

My heart thumped loudly against my ribcage, and it seemed I could hardly breathe, my chest constricting.

"Communication, Doctor Demakis. Communication if you want this marriage to work," I gritted my teeth.

"I'm just asking for time, Angel. Not now."

His face was like cut out from granite, cold and hard.

And now, I felt like I was wrong here. And why can't Max tell me why he wanted to keep it, even for now?

"Is it too hard to tell me why you want this relationship hidden?"

"I have my reason, but right now, we can't talk here," his eyes darted to my hands, and then he frowned. "Where's your ring?" he asked.

If he thought he could redirect this topic, not with me.

I looked at his hands.

Bare fingers.

"I'll ask the same. Where's yours? You can't expect me to wear mine while you don't!" I ground out.

He dropped his back and let out a harsh breath.

He leveled me a hard stare, and I met it with my own. The tension thickened, you could slice it with a knife, but I didn't back down.

"You know I hate jewelry. It bothers me when I'm wearing my ring."

"But you want me to wear mine, and then you want our status a secret," I scoffed sarcastically. "I have a bunch of very inquisitive friends. What would I tell them if they asked who I marry?"

Max got up from his chair and walked closer to me, his blue eyes fixed on mine.

"Just for now. Give your friends my first name, Michael. Just give me time." He stood in front of me. His eyes were soft and tender, like warm palms caressing my skin. "I'm doing this for you," his deep and rich tone tender, but I am angry.

"Is it really for me?" a hint of sarcasm in my calm tone. My insides are stewing with annoyance.-

I shook my head in disbelief.

I need to know why!

He eyed me tenderly, and the ice starting to build around my heart melted. How he stared at me like I was the most important person in his life melted the doubt and my resistance.

"Can't you just trust me on this?" he asked, almost begging. His palm caressed my left cheek, and I unconsciously leaned into his palm. The warmth of his palm seeped through my skin and coursed through my veins, settling in my heart and causing that stupid organ to beat wildly for him. Seemingly there was a new year party going on inside my ribcage with how loud it was thumping, and I'm not surprised if he could hear it.

Oh, hell no! He can't use that stunt. He can't use that word 'can't you trust me?'

I willed my heart to be still. Not falling into his charisma and being a fool.

No heart! I can't let him get away with whatever he wants. I'm his wife. I have the right to know everything about him and whatever is going on!

I stepped back and faced away.