Chapter 19: Night Falls

"Like a soft, deep layer of mulch, transparency in your marriage will keep most weed seeds dormant and unable to sprout." – Barbara Rainey

Angelik's POV

Oh no! She didn't kiss my husband in front of me. This bish!

My vision clouded with red mist, rage swirling in my head, spread out and coiled in every fiber of my being. My hands clenched tightly on my sides as I stared at her incredulously.

But before I could yank her away from Max, he grabbed her forearms and wrenched her away.

With the soft glow of the moving ambient lighting dancing across his deceptively calm countenance, it concealed his true rage.

"Perhaps you missed the announcement— my wife is here, Doc!" Max emphatically declared.

"I'm sorry!" she hastily apologized, her lips curled up in a mortifying smile. "I was just excited to see you both here," she regretfully replied once she regained control of her poise, flitting her apologetic gaze between my husband and me.

"Oh, you are so welcoming!" I cooed, my tone patronizing her.

She smiled at me, and perhaps because I am a woman, I know whether she was genuinely regretful or not. And definitely, she's playing a game, a dangerous game.

"I hope it won't happen again, Doctor Kramer." I smiled, shadowing my disdain for her blatant disrespect of me. "We are out of bleach to clean those bacteria you left on my husband's commissure," I trenchantly expressed, the smile on my face slowly fading, silently sending her the clear message to back off.

When she saw the seriousness on my face, she tentatively nodded. "Excuse me. I need to use the washroom," a small, faltering smile crossed her eyes, more like a grimace.

She quickly bolted on her heel, almost bumping into someone, and then disappeared into the crowd.

Max's lips, so close to my ear, he breathed out. " You're a fiery vixen. You're turning me on big time."

I glanced up at him and smiled coyly.

"I'm glad you took care of her. Otherwise, I'll give her something she'll never forget!" I told Max, and he just smiled.

"I know you will, and before you draw blood." He teased and I playfully glared at him.

I unconsciously looked at the others and caught Noah seated across us, watching with intent curiosity.

He raised his glass filled with amber liquid and ice cubes for a silent toast. I smiled at him and was a little embarrassed.

I know he didn't hear what happened. However, the mortification that flashed on Doctor Kramer's countenance was enough to give away what was happening.

I was just happy when Noah shifted his attention to one of the doctors.

According to doctor Noah, Jo is coming but not Lisa.

Jen is here today, one of the morning shift nurses.

Doctor James, another cardiologist, is here too, with two other nurse practitioners, Molly and Aminah.

After our pleasantries, Doctor James guided Aminah to the dance floor with their drinks in their hands and danced with the energetic crowd.

The remixed bad romance song with the DJ coaxing the gyrating crowd turned the environs frenetic. The soft riotous lights dancing frenziedly against the mass of unbridled guests caused my blood to pump furiously, and I was unconsciously dancing with the loud, wild beat.