Chapter 15: At Wits End

Max's POV

Doctor Ernestine shot her a dark stare filled with dubious interest. Ambiguous emotions that I didn't care to reflect swirled in her orbs.

Women and their jealousy over each other.

Before she shifted her dark eyes at me, in a split second, I caught her eyes squinted with her dark brows contracting downward and swiftly disappeared as swiftly as it came before. Or perhaps I was overthinking things, or giving too much care about these people lately.

My wife's keen observing traits seemingly rubbed off on me.

She does have a very dark eyes. It's almost creepy to look at, deep and with dark circles around her almond eyes that were framed with pith black, thick lashes. For others, it may look pleasing in the eyes, but when she gazed the way she did with my wife right now, it made me feel bothered.

Maybe I'm just exhausted. I perceived things differently. I've been up since five. I decided to shrug off that nagging thought.

I casually stuffed my hands in my lab pocket as I spoke with her with a calm, controlled tone. "Is there anything you need, Doctor Kramer?"

Before she answered, her dark eyes were back at my wife, perusing her with dubious interest. It only irritated me, but then again, I could be wrong.

"I was wondering if you have a minute to talk over Mr. Davidson's..." she paused, dragging her gaze to my wife, who was unbothered waiting next to me. She sent her a look that meant she wanted a private talk with me.

She's new and perhaps Doctor Clark didn't include her in the team. "Doctor Kramer, I assumed you didn't receive the email Doctor Clark sent to everyone on the team, then I'll just send it to you," glancing at my wife. She was staring at me. Correction, frowning at me.

I shifted my eyes back to Doctor Kramer, and I caught her glaring at my wife, which made my blood boil.

All politeness is thrown out the window. My eyebrows darted together tightly as I spoke coldly. "We have a meeting via zoom three days from now... if you didn't get the memo. I'll asked Clark to include you in the team incase he forgot it."

With a nod, I turned to face my wife. Turning my back to Doctor Kramer signals that I'm sending her off.

"Miss Mailov," I turned at my wife, who was throwing me a look of indifference. I almost groaned. "Next time, do it well. Now come with me to my office and fix it!" I hissed through gritted teeth, hoping it sent negative meaning to Doctor Ernestine Kramer. I gave the doctor a curt nod before I strode off, praying I won't pay for how I talked to my wife.

"Thank you, Max," Doctor Kramer said behind me, calling me by my name with familiarity. I just ignored Doctor Kramer's impertinence and strode off along the seemingly endless maze of hallways.

The ORs and lab rooms are at the farthest end.

I could feel Angel's wrath emanating from her as she trailed behind me.

As I sauntered towards the elevator, we met some nurses in the hallways. I just nodded at them when they greeted me with smiles.

Two male nurses strolling greeted me before they stopped and talked to my wife briefly.

"Hey, Angel!" one of them called her. My long stride halted, glancing briefly at them. The two seemed like teenagers, who had these stupid grins on their faces as they stared at my wife like they had the right.

"Hello, Travis. I didn't see you in weeks," Angel grinned at the shorter man in blue scrub.

"Just got back from Hawaii."