Chapter 13 - I'm In Love With...

Yitingzhen, China.

September 17th, 2018 - 9am

As soon as the loudness was heard, Hua Cheng wrapped his arms around Xie Lian, covering his ears for him. Xie Lian's eyes widened as he watched the aftermath of the explosion make its way into the heavens, looking up at Hua Cheng whose eyes were almost watering. Nan Feng looked over at them.

"It must've been far enough since we can't see it, but we should still be careful if we could hear it that clearly." As Hua Cheng looked down at Xie Lian, Xie Lian thought he could almost see a hint of regret in his eyes, feeling Hua Cheng push him back into Nan Feng and Fu Yao's arms, speaking roughly.

"Keep him safe no matter what! Do not come after me, just stay out of this and stay sheltered!" Then, just like that, Hua Cheng's figure began to make its way towards the poisoned-sky town, fading away.

As Xie Lian watched the shadow of Hua Cheng fade away, completely unarmed, he didn't even flinch when the two boys now holding him began to shout.

"San Lang! Come back!"

"You idiot, you're unarmed!!!"

As the two continued to shout, not once did San Lang turn back, nor did he even slow down in the slightest. Yet, he couldn't help but stop himself from running, almost tripping in the process, when he heard the recognizable, now-pained scream.

"HUA CHENG! DON'T LEAVE ME AGAIN! COME BACK, SAN LANG!" The dreadful screams never stopped, Xie Lian unable to see if Hua Cheng was even heading back, tears filling and falling from his eyes. Yet, Hua Cheng did not, slowly beginning to continue running away. Once Xie Lian had realised this, he fell to his knees, his voice escaping in a wretched wail, his cries only getting louder as his hands tightened themselves around the grass on the hill, Nan Feng and Fu Yao watching Hua Cheng continue to run off until they quickly averted their vision to Xie Lian's pained tears falling to the ground, both crouching down and trying their best to comfort the screaming man. Xie Lian looked up, watching as Hua Cheng was now fully gone.

His World,

His Life,

His Love...

All gone.

Yitingzhen, China.

September 17th, 2018 - 11am

It had now been two hours since Hua Cheng ran away, Xie Lian still feeling small tears fall down his cheeks at times as he now remained silent on the hill. Nan Feng and Fu Yao gave him time to be by himself, now finally walking over, Fu Yao holding out a steamed bun and Nan Feng holding a bottle of water. Xie Lian looked up at them, both quickly seeing how red his eyes were, his hair a complete mess.

"What's this for?" Xie Lian turned his head to Nan Feng who replied.

"You're probably starving... It's breakfast." Fu Yao then spoke up.

"We got it for you, so eat up." Xie Lian stared at them for a moment before looking away, keeping his gaze on the view ahead of him.

"I don't want it." Fu Yao and Nan Feng went silent for a moment. Xie Lian continued.

"I want to find San Lang... Why did you two just leave him?" His Voice wasn't angered, only quiet, as if he was regretting himself not staying near him. Xie Lian's hands rose to his head as he held tightly onto his hair.

"AGHHH! WHY DID I JUST LEAVE HIM!? NO, WHY DIDN'T I JUST LEAVE HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE!? I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!!"

Nan Feng and Fu Yao were quick to react, grabbing onto his arms and pulling them away from his head, making sure he didn't hurt himself, Fu Yao shouting.

"Oi, you idiot! You couldn't leave him because you obviously like him!" Xie Lian went silent, his head quickly turning to Fu Yao, an almost shocked expression on his face.

"I... Like him?" Fu Yao froze, unsure of how to reply.

"U-Um... Well, do you?" Xie Lian looked away, sniffling as he wiped his eyes, dragging his arms out of their grips.

"I... See San Lang as someone I should protect... Someone who is so kind to me... Someone who..." Xie Lian wiped his eyes again, holding back the tears in his eyes.

"Someone who I love!"

Once these words escaped Xie Lian's mouth, another explosion was heard, just like the one from earlier. Although it was further, all of them were quick to realise it came from the same place Hua Cheng just ran towards.

As soon as Xie Lian realised this, he jumped to his feet, not hesitating for a millisecond to begin running, Nan Feng and Fu Yao quick to follow. They ran and ran, Xie Lian not stopping once, causing many traffic jams and almost-crashes as he ran through the roads, Fu Yao and Nan Feng being quick to apologise, making sure they kept up with Xie Lian. Then, after running for what felt like forever, they made it.

Xie Lian froze as he saw another enemy creeping up on Hua Cheng, a mask on her face with a crying face on it as he aimed her gun at him. Being quick to react, Xie Lian brought up the gun Hua Cheng gave him, aiming right for her. And then,

BANG,

He shot her.

As he looked up, he smiled as he saw her fall to the floor, knowing he just saved Hua Cheng. That was until, however, he turned his head, noticing something.

The gun which was once tightly placed in his hand fell onto the floor, Xie Lian's legs almost following behind as the sight of Hua Cheng lying flat on the ground remained in his vision.

(961 words)