Chapter 11 - Life Savers

Yitingzhen, China.

September 17th, 2018 - 12am

Applying pressure to Hua Cheng's wound, Xie Lian could feel himself grow more afraid by the second, unsure of what would happen. Feeling Hua Cheng's breathing gradually get slower, Xie Lian tried his best to seem calm on the outside, trying not to make Hua Cheng worried. Stroking his hair, Xie Lian spoke in a calm tone.

"Shh... Don't panic, you'll be ok..."

"Gege... I feel like you're the one panicking... Please, I'm a lost cause, just go already..." But Xie Lian refused, feeling himself fill with relief when he heard 2 familiar voices call out towards them, looking over to see Nan Feng and Fu Yao.

"Oi, Xie Lian, what happened?" Xie Lian looked back down at Hua Cheng, quite shocked.

"You... brought us back to Yitingzhen?" A gentle laugh escaped Hua Cheng.

"I don't want you getting hurt... It's the safest place... Gege, put out your hand." Doing as asked, Xie Lian put out his hand, keeping another on Hua Cheng's wound.

"I won't bother asking you to not participate in the war because I know you will no matter what I say... Therefore, Gege, I want you to take this... Please..." Weakly bringing up his arm, Hua Cheng softly placed his gun into Xie Lian's hand, an imprint of the word, "Dianxia" carved onto it. Feeling himself tear up, Xie Lian tried to gulp down the lump he felt in his throat yet only made it worse, leaning forwards and resting his head on Hua Cheng's legs, tears falling.

"Y-You... When did you get this?"

"Ever since the first war... Jun Wu offered the gun to me and said I can get whatever I wanted carved into the side... A place... A picture... A name... So, I chose you, Gege..." Xie Lian couldn't hold back anymore, screaming out in emotional pain as he cried more and more. Fu Yao and Nan Feng, alarmed by the sudden outburst of emotion, rushed over, Nan Feng pulling Xie Lian back and Fu Yao helping Hua Cheng, saying he's used to treating injuries like this. Xie Lian tried to break out of Nan Feng's grip, wanting to hug Hua Cheng once more, feel his touch and kiss him over and over until he got better.

"Oi, Xie Lian, come on! Just come sit down over here, let Fu Yao help him, ok?" After hesitating for a moment, Xie Lian followed Nan Feng onto a small, grassy hill. Silence remained for a bit, Nan Feng unsure of what to say, not used to having to comfort others. Yet, gathering up his courage, Nan Feng slid over slightly closer towards Xie Lian, sighing before he spoke.

"Look, I know you two were close, but listen to me... He'll be alright, ok?" Xie Lian nodded, sniffling as he wiped his eyes. After a little longer of silence, Fu Yao was easily heard walking over to them, both boys quickly facing him.

"How is he? Please say he's ok!" Xie Lian was first to talk, Fu Yao nodding.

"He should be fine. I was able to remove the bullet pretty easily and there wasn't much internal damage done. Plus, I gave him a drink which should help him recover pretty fast. I'll say he'll be better in 2 weeks. But, he will have to keep the bandages on for a while. Other than that, he should be better soon-" But, before Fu Yao could finish his sentence, Xie Lian was quick to stand up, running over to Hua Cheng and sitting beside him. As he slowly laid down beside Hua Cheng's cold, alive body, he intertwined his own fingers with his, sighing softly, whispering.

"San Lang... Don't get hurt..."

As soon as this happened, Fu Yao was about to run over, going to tell Xie Lian to be careful. Yet, before he could, he felt a soft grip on his arm. Turning around, Fu Yao faced Nan Feng who shook his head.

"Don't... If we continue looking after him like this, he'll figure out the truth."

"...Fine. But, I think your name is too much of a give-away."

"Huh!?"

"What do you think!? Nan Feng!?"

"What about you!?"

"What's so similar with mine?"

"...You look and act the same."

"What do you mean!?"

"You always roll your eyes, short temper, the list could go on!"

"I-... Fine! Let's just lay low for now..."

"Fine." Nan Feng let go of Fu Yao's arm, sitting down. Fu Yao sat down beside him, looking back at Xie Lian and Hua Cheng, then back at Nan Feng.

"Hey... You know those rumours that happened? About how Xie Lian is Hua Cheng's secret lover and shit like that..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you think those rumours were true?" After thinking for a moment, Nan Feng shook his head, looking over at the two laying down and back at Fu Yao.

"No, I don't think they're true... But, now... There might be something going on. Maybe they see each other as more than a member and leader?" Fu Yao nodded, looking down at the grass, brushing his hand through it.

"Should we tell Xie Lian about us one day?"

"One day, yes... Just not now, maybe another day-"

"But what if there isn't another day?" Both boys fell silent, Fu Yao regretting what he just said and Nan Feng shocked he said that.

"Um... Well, just think. This is Xie Lian and Hua Cheng we're talking about... I'm sure there will always be another day..."

"Hua Cheng literally just got shot."

"But you helped... God, is this your way to make me be kind to you!?"

"No!! I just..."

"Listen, if us four stay together, I'm sure we'll all be fine, alright?"

"So Xie Lian has the stamina, Hua Cheng has the strength, I'm the medic so the fuck are you?"

"Huh!? I'm the one who kept on spotting out all the enemies!"

"Ah, so you're the binoculars."

"Why do I have such a stupid name!?" Fu Yao bursted out laughing, Nan Feng growing annoyed.

"Because it suits you!"

As Fu Yao and Nan Feng continued to bicker, Xie Lian had already fallen asleep. So, what he did not know was at that moment, Hua Cheng had now awoken.

(1046 words)