|| Frienimies ||

|| Anakin's POV ||

Waking up by Padme's side would always be something that Anakin savoured.

Even before the Empire, he rarely got to wake up in the same bed as her.

It was a luxury most couples took for granted. But not Anakin. No he would forever love the warmth of her small body curled up next to his.

His dreams had been plagued by nightmares as always but by the look of her peaceful form in his arms he knew he hadn't screamed the late hours away.

For her sake he was grateful for that.

The room was oddly quiet and the sun in the window was too high up in the air.

It was odd not to be woken up in the middle of the night or in the early hours of the morning by the twins.

Not only odd. but unlikely, unheard of.

The sun cast a shadow on the two cribs that the twins where sleeping in, making them look empty.

No, wait. They were empty.

With a jolt Anakin launched himself out of bed ripping his body from Padme's embrace.

Tripping over the beds end he stumbled to the cribs grasping on them for dear life.

Gone.

Both of the twins were gone.

His twins

The two things that he would do anything for.

The twins that gave him what little joy he could feel these days.

Gone.

He knew it.

He knew his enemies would eventually have gotten to him, both within the Empire and out.

Even this so called rebel base was unsafe for his twins.

He should've know.

Should've slept with them in his arms, he should have tied them to him even.

It didn't matter now.

They were gone.

A strangled sound left Anakin's throat as he started loosing the little composure he had left.

"Anakin.."

Her voice was as sweet as honey, drowsy from being half awake.

It almost did nothing to sooth him.

"Anakin."

There it was again, a little more awake with the sound of ruffled sheets.

She was looking for him.

He wanted to tell her he was here, wanted to cry and scream and kill.

No

Not kill.

"Ani?"

Her voice was so innocent, like all those years ago, like it had been on Naboo.

The way she said his name, called him, this time soothed him, made him turn around, shaking and on the verge of a breakdown.

But he kept himself composed. He had to be strong. For her.

"Their gone."

His voice was barely a whisper, the wind could've taken it away.

But non the less she heard him.

"Who's gone?"

"The twins. Their not in their cribs Pad-"