𝟐𝟑

Dominik was utterly lost in the streets of Ketterdam.

He knew who he was looking for. He just feared he might be too late.

Whatever they had, he had thrown it away. She could have just as easily found someone who could love her better than he ever could.

No. He had to at least thank her. For everything that she had done. She'd held him when he sobbed every morning. She'd soothed his fevers. She'd given him company, let him pretend he wasn't a monster for a while. She'd smiled at him. Genuinely smiled. Without any strings attached.

It had been so long since he had seen a smile like that.

His heart ached just thinking of it.

He caught sight of someone familiar. Without thinking, he darted in her direction–

He furrowed his eyebrows. It was her, but not quite her. She had the same golden eyes, but without the reckless abandon that laced them. She was shorter, too. And she wasn't built in the same lean, muscular way that Dio was.

"Hi?" the girl blinked, tilting her head. "Can I help you, or are you just going to keep standing there with your mouth open?"

Dominik shut his mouth. He didn't realize he was staring. "Hi. I'm... Dominik. Lantsov."

"Yeah, right, and I'm the queen of Fjerda," scoffed the girl. Then she studied him a bit closer. "Oh. Oh, you're serious."

"Yeah, uh... do you happen to have a sister?"

"Who's asking?"

"The prince of Ravka..?" he offered her what he hoped was a charming smile.

"I told her not to flirt with the prince. Why am I not surprised she flirted with the prince?" The girl pinched the bridge of her nose. "Do you have a pen?"

He dug around in his father's coat pockets and produced a pen. She took an old, crumpled receipt from her pocket and jotted down an address on the back. "You'll find Dio there. I hope."

That was not very reassuring, but Dominik nodded his thanks and began navigating the streets of that Saints-forsaken city.